Are you ever scared that you'll be a victim of a random murder?

A guy my brother went to high school with was murdered in cold blood in his bed a few weeks ago. A guy broke into his house, walked into his bedroom, and when he saw that people were in the bed, he emptied the automatic pistol on it. His wife was only shot once in the arm but he was shot in the head and the chest and died instantly.

The killer didn't steal anything. Just shot that poor man and his wife and left. The police say that the killer will probably never be caught.

The thought terrifies me! Gah! Sometimes I obsess over it and can't sleep because I'm scared someone will break into my house and kill me.

: /

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 5:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• OMG! I was watching one of those serial killer specials that comes on TLC. It was about the hillside strangler. Why the hell I was watching it to begin with is beyond me, but also my SO works overnights and had just left for the night and it was almost bedtime...stupid, huh? Anyways, I was up the entire night, curled in the fetal position with my cell phone clutched in my hand, ready to dial. It's so freaky that things like that really happen...
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 5:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• yeah prettymuch. everytime i walk past someone i think they're going to kill me.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yes there for a long time there was like 4 random murders in my town no killer was ever caught but the police suspect it was linked to drugs very scary
    Anonymous

• I worry sometimes but it doesn't over power me cuz there are steps I can always take to given me a better chance of not having some thing happen: keep doors locked at home and when sleeping windows closed and locked (and there are locks to that alarm cheap cheap for windows that stay open. Usually some one gets into as an intruder no matter their intent because windows or door were left entirely unlocked or open. That is something that we can train our selves not to do!!

Hope your on meds for your ppd keep your faith up knowing how important you are to this world. that baby of yours wants you to love them when their celbratting their fiftieth birthday as well as now and soon. Parenting never ends it keeps us busy always - I have two adult children and 1 teenager. Even my adult kids seek me out now and then for advice and want me around them still. You have a lot to look forward to with exciting times w/baby.
    Anonymous

• I would be afraid for the person who was shooting at us..for I have 2 guys who live out back in another apartment. Plus, guys who stay overnight with us and most of our neighbors who has more then 1 gun. I know if they hear guns coming from our room, I know they would not walk out of our neighborhood alive. Shoot, two weeks ago, our neighbor 3 houses down was getting robbed and someone thought it was a bit fishy for they never seen that car around here before. We got a call and when we got there 6 guys with guns was holding 2 people up intill the police got there. When the police did show there was at least another 15 who joined us. So, no I am not scared if it is my time to go then it is my time but God help the one who shot me.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 5:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yea, I'm home alot alone, SO has to go away for work and is gone months at a time.
    I sleep with a few random lights on and i switch it up every once in awhile.
    *shudders* its so creepy to think of those things
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No. I live a low-key lifestyle, and take reasonable precautions, but I refuse to live in fear and terror of the unexpected. I hope it never happens, and we can't protect ourselves from the random crazy people. It doesn't bother me, and they won't like what happens if they try to break into my house or hurt my family.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 5:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yes, anon, I'm on meds for my PPD =] I shudder at the thought of what would happen to me if I wasn't on them! O.O
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:37 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I worry about it sometimes but not all the time. It's jsut something that enters my head (and it's usually after I watch some horror movie). We have taken all the steps that we can to protect ourselves that we could. We do have an alarm system for the house and it is set every night so that takes a big burgen off of us.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 5:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Good for you on meds! More people should have that courage to love themselves to keep up on any medicines!! When I'm worried about something in specific sometimes finances sometimes an appliance having to have repairman come in that makes me extra scared. I don't show a repairman to my appliance I tell them how to get to it, and I just wait in my lr with my inside door open and curtains open a bit, it just makes it more obvious to someone outside that something out of usual is happening 'in there where the door's been open'. Just by taking some extra precations here and there I feel better about safety for my kids and me too when hubby's not there.
    Anonymous