Feta?

Ok so Im 13 weeks pregnant and I love greek food. There is a great place near where I live and I really want to go, the problem is someone said when your pregnant you cant eat feta. Does anyone know if this is true.

mycheyl

Asked by mycheyl at 5:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yeah you can't eat most soft cheeses or unpasteurized ones. i'm not sure if feta falls into that category i suck at cheeses, google it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Sorry mycheyl, feta cheese is an unpasteurized cheese and should be avoided during preganancy. The reason to stay away from most soft and all unpasteurized cheeses during pregnancy is that they can harbor a bacterica called lysteria which can be fatal to a baby in utero. I totally feel your pain, I am 28 weeks preggo with my 4th, and love Feta cheese and Mexican queso especially in salads in the summer time. It's temporary though, after you deliver you can go back to eating them.
    www.EnhancingFamilies.com - Helping Moms To Be Stay At Home Moms Without Selling
    amynic

Answer by amynic at 5:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Most cheese in the US uses pasteurized milk, and it usually says so right on the packaging. If you're eating at a restaurant, you might want to double check with the staff. If not pasteurized, then it's off-limits.

I've enjoyed lots of soft cheeses throughout my pregnancy-- I just make sure it's either cooked or made from pasteurized milk. If I'm not sure, then I don't eat it.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• You cant eat feta while u are preggo because it just like blue cheese is a moldy cheese
    Anonymous

• http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/nutrition/foodsafety/cheeseexpert/

Cheeses which are SAFE to eat in pregnancy Hard cheeses: Austrian smoked, Babybel, Caerphilly, Cheddar, Cheshire, Derby, Double Gloucester, Edam, Emmental, English goat's cheddar, feta, Gouda, Gruyere, Halloumi, Havarti, Jarlsberg, Lancashire, Manchego, Orkney, paneer, Parmesan, Pecorino (hard), Provolone, Red Leicester.

Soft and processed cheeses: Boursin, cottage cheese, cream cheese, feta, goat's cheese without a white rind, mascarpone, mozzarella, Philadelphia, processed cheese (such as cheese spread), Quark, ricotta.

Answer by Bmat at 5:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• this is from http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

Eat hard cheeses instead of soft cheeses: The CDC has recommended that pregnant women avoid soft cheeses such as feta, Brie, Camembert, blue-veined cheesesl and Mexican style cheeses such as queso fresco, queso blanco and panela.

Hard cheeses such as cheddar and semi-soft cheeses such as mozzarella are safe to consume. Pasteurized processed cheese slices and spreads such as cream cheese and cottage cheese can also be safely consumed. The most important thing to do is read the labels!

Answer by Bmat at 5:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• As you can see, googling found different responses about this. So my theory is, When in doubt, don't.

Answer by Bmat at 5:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I eat feta cheese occasionally and I also eat deli meats. I'm aware of the risk, but the risk is soooo small when compared to other risks, such as riding/driving in the car, which no one says I shouldn't do that.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2009