Is my brother crazy?

My brother has recently told the family he's changing his name to "Healer". He quit his high paying tech job and now isn't working. He sends us links to conspiracy theory websites and tells us death isn't a scary thing, in fact it's a "wonderful, beautiful" thing. He's totally vegan now and is considering selling his car. This all happened within 2 months time. He also lost his phone, has no intent on getting a new one. He'll make plans with me via email but then never show up. His last email sounded a little like he believes "Healer" is a seperate identity than his self and that "Healer's" actions has the ability to make my brother, John, happy or sad.
Do you think he's going crazy? Or does it sound more like a phase?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• He's probably just finding himself. I got rid of my car and other things that were taking a toll on me. The responsibility of things is just too much sometimes. Some of us want to go back to basics and simplicity works best for us. As for "Healer", I wouldn't make too much of it. If he called himself Satan or something negative I'd worry but Healer sounds positive. I'd give it some time and see what happens. As long as he doesn't harm himself or others he may be ok. If he crosses one of those boundaries or "healer" hurts your brother then I'd see about getting him Baker Acted but I think most states require him to harm himself or others before they will do that. Call a local mental health facility and ask.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't term it "crazy" per se, but I do think it sounds as though he may have some kind of problem. Becoming vegan and selling your car really aren't that big a deal, in my book, lots of people are doing things like that for the environment and such. It's the rest of it that makes me think there is something wrong there. Is there anyone who can talk to him and try to get him to seek help? If worse comes to worst, and things get really bad, I'd see about having the cops do a wellbeing check on him, and if he is really messed up, they might Baker Act him and then he would hopefully get help.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I think it sounds like he's gotten into some pretty serious shit. It sounds a bit cultish, and that is definitely not a phase. Once you get sucked in to things like that, it's often very hard to find your way back out. If you ever do. I don't know for sure this is the case, but you should have a serious talk with him.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• i think hes just having an identity crisis
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I think he is very confused right now. I doubt that it is a phase, and unless he gets some help, he could be in a lot of trouble.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• When is the last time you actually seen him??

Answer by louise2 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Last time I actually saw him was right after he quit his job 2 months ago and he went on a road trip to another state to camp by himself in the woods and presumably not come back. He did come back but now only communicates through email and seems interested in meeting up with family but then no shows without giving any reason or responding to why he didn't show up.
    Anonymous

• Um crazy might be a bit strong a word but it does sound to me like there is more going on than you know about. Sounds like he might have mental issue, be suffering from some kind of imbalance or disorder, be into drugs, or maybe even have joined a cult of some kind? I have no idea. Sounds weird to me too though.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Sounds like he is definitely in need of a Dr. Sorry to hear you and your family are going through this.
    Anonymous

• A friend of my aunt's went through something similiar. In his case, he was a corporate guy, in the technology field, but one night he was viciously attacked (raped and mugged) and left for dead. It changed him completely. He quit his job, began working in his basement and pretty much changed overnight. I'm not saying something really bad happened to your brother, but he may have seen or learned something that affected him greatly. Changing his name and becoming a vegan is not so unusual, but the cutting off from family (technically he is) is concerning.

Maybe he is into a cult....that happens often as well.
    Anonymous