About foster parenting: what is the difference between working for an agency and working directly with the county?

I have heard that working with the county(Riverside) is better. I just don't know why and I am curious about it . Can somebody help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Adoption

• Riverside CA? My son was adopted through Riverside county and yes it is better, less people get paid and a lot of those kids need homes a lot quicker than agency babies because the odds of them being adopted tend to slim out. Yes, I would go through the county first before gong to an agency.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• By the way, you don't have a ton of people looking to profit off a baby market when you go through the county also!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• An agency is contracted by social services to handle foster care cases. Typically these are the ones that are more difficult situations. Most foster care agencies are non profit. The state contracts with them so that (as the private sector would say) they can reduce the cost, be more efficient, and manage children/cases better. I have not found them to be more or less efficient. I will say that when I have had a concern with a private foster agency that they have been very quick to address any concerns I had about a foster child in a placement - me calling from a professional stand point. Quick, I assume, because they don't want their privileges yanked for placing children and risk loosing their business. One negative: if you want to adopt you have to take classes again through the state. Your private classes do not all count.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2009