My friend had surgery and I was wondering if its ok to bring some food to the family at the hospital?

one of my very close friends is in the hospital because he had to have emergency surgery and his family is there too. none of them have left since Friday night. Im going up there to visit him in about an hour with his brother. Would it be an ok thing to do to bring some sandwiches, and chips and like some cookies up there for the family?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 6:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think that's a lovely idea! And, I'm sure it will be most appreciated. When I had my hip replacement last summer, someone did that for my husband,and he was very excited,he didn't have to leave to go eat.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• As a nurse ~ I say no, get them out of the environment ~ They need to get out, gain some perspective on what has happened. Every time there is an overhead page or see staff moving quickly, most family members bolt out thinking it's their loved one. Let the MD's and Nurses do their jobs ~ Also consider the other families in the waiting areas. Is this person in the ICU? I know most will give you a pager so families can leave to attend to their own needs. If you want to do that (which is a kind and loving gesture) take them outside (picnic style) or the cafeteria
    Anonymous

• it's a nice thought but rather then that, I think you should say something along the lines like "why don't you go get some decent food etc" i'll be right here and call if anything changes etc. Or offer to go and get food, but like another poster says they need to get out!
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2009