Do you think she is ready?

My dd is 19 months old. Over the past few days when she has a bm she comes to me and says, "poop!" She is recognizing that she is having bms. She wont do it if her diaper is wet, and still has very wet diapers in the morning. She is not taking off her diaper when she is dirty, but she does tell me. Do you think it is the right time to start potty training? Or is she still too young?

2-1CavWife

Asked by 2-1CavWife at 6:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here is the link to what I went by for signs on potty training my dd! http://www.babyzone.com/toddler/potty_toilet_training

It sounds to me like she is ready, my dd is also 19 months and does the same thing. We have been at this for 5 days now and she knows when she has to potty tho we don't make it on time most of the time. She tells me when she poops as well and never took her diaper off either. As soon as they can tell you and know when it happens, plus wanting to go on the potty and staying dry for 2 hrs at a time or during a nap are some signs of readiness! My dd stays dry during her nap but as soon she starts to wake up pees... :) AND I tried pull ups the first two days... it showed her when she went but now she thinks it's just like a diaper and won't go on the potty while wearing one. If she's in underwear she tells me seconds before she goes! GL! I would start if I were you!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• i do think its time to start :) i hear girls are easy
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• my dd is 19 mo. as well and i started potty training her for the same reason you are contemplating it. so, yes...start now...it's a slow process, don't stress it too much...my dd has done pee and poop several times in the potty...and sometimes she just wants to sit and try.... other times, i ask her when i know she is starting to go poop...do you want to go on the potty and poop and if she says yes, then great...if not, i say, it's okay, next time. gl.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yup. She's ready. She's giving you the clue....jump on it. Even kids at this young age love the idea of being in charge, and what better than to teach her to be in charge of her own body!
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009