don't want to be the wicked stepmother here

my 3 year old step son is with hubby and I for the summer, and a few strangers have referred to me as his mom. since it isn't any of their concern I don't correct them, neither does step son or hubby. since step son doesn't call me mom, I am wondering if I should correct it when strangers call me mom or just let it go and let him correct them if he wants to?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 7:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Just let it go....as you say, they're just strangers commenting. If the boy feels the need to talk about it, he will.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I am sure your step son doesnt even pay attention to those details yet, and if it did bother him I am sure that he would say something. If it is concerning you than maybe you should talk to him about it in a way he can understand. But if it were me I would leave things be until it becomes a problem! cant fix something that isnt broken!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 7:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't correct them. You are being his mom at this time....at least for the summer.
    momtoeight

Answer by momtoeight at 7:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• if its just someone passing by or a few words exchanged, let it go, they probably dont care either way. people jsut assume things so just let them. your shirt or nothing ya know? if they dont ask, why tell them? its not like your trying to convince people your the mom, it doesnt make you a wicked stepmom at all.
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• take his cue sweetie. Believe me if he cared about it he would say something. I still to this day correct people when they call my step dad my dad. I love him to death but he is not my dad, and he did not help raise me so i dont consider him my dad any fashion. The main reason i love him is that my mom is happy.
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Strangers have no need to know your personal life, including being a stepmother. When they comment they are just connecting with another human being. If you were his aunt, even, or grandparent, it would still not be necessary to correct them- what would be the point, after all. You have no personal connection with them.

Answer by Bmat at 7:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I am also a stepmother. Some of my stepkids call me mom, 1 calls me by my first name.

If it bothers you, then correct them, if it makes you feel better. One of my stepsons is a holy terror and I do correct strangers when they refer to me as mom. I don't want them thinking I was the one who raised the demon spawn. lol!

Your stepson is 3, and it doesn't seem to bother him, so I wouldn't correct them. But ultimately, it is your decision. And he will probably follow suit....definately will as he gets older, if you make a big deal out of it now. So think about it before you do it.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 7:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't correct them unless he tells you he doesn't want people to call you his mom. Every kid is diffrent in how they handle things like that because I remember I didn't want my stepmom saying she was my mom but my oldest son (who is my stepson) introduces me to his friends as his mom. If you just follow what he requests on that subject you'll be fine.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• id jus let it go. people dont know any better they always jus assume. besides that your not gonna see them again so why bother explaining you know? especially since your husband doesnt correct them so obviously he doesnt mind. me and my boyfriend have been together since my daughter was 2 months old and shes almost 2yrs old now and from the very first day..even before we were together. everyone tells him he has a beautiful daughter or that we're a beautiful family. the first time i thought he was gonna freak but like i said it doesnt matter cuz people really dont know. so he never really minded. but usually his face jus glows when people ask him how old his daughter is or any other question about his daughter. i love it.
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I don't see a reason not to say "oh, he's my stepson." I've been complimented on how cute my kids are when I'm out with my niece and nephew and it took all of 5 seconds to say "I'm their aunt." Did they correct the people who said it? No... but they did cock their heads in a "say what" sort of way... just because a kid doesn't tell a stranger doesn't mean they don't care... it could just mean they don't talk to strangers...

My daughter is that way. At 8 if someone says "your dad" and she doesn't know the person she lets it go. I'll say "step"... my son is the same way. I don't think it is making our personal lives anyone's business, I just feel that if we don't correct it that it appears as if we're ashamed of our family dynamics... and there is nothing wrong with being a blended family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2009