How can I get my toddler use to babies?

O.k. so my son is 26 months old. I'm due with my second child this December. My son has never been around a child younger then 10 months old. I bought him a baby doll and he knows (I won't say he understands) that there's a baby in mommy's tummy... Does anyone have any advice on this matter? I'm careful not to say "mommy's baby" as I don't want to cause jealousy.

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 7:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just be open and honest about what is going to happen. Kids understand more than you would believe, and if you explain that mommy is going to have a baby, and that you will have to spend a little less time with him so you can take care of the baby, but that he can help you as much as he wants, I think he'll understand. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Check with the maternal educator at the hospital where you are planning to deliver, or the person in charge of classes; they should have, or be able to point you towards, a sibling class.

By the way, now is a great time to take a refresher infant first aid and CPR class; if you didn't take one the first time around, definitely do so now.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Trust me... I did and I also took parenting classes... I may be a young mom, but I come well-prepared. I think about all possibilities. A sibling class sounds great, I am going to check into that today.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 7:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2009