What can I expect with getting a tubal ligation?

I am very nervous about being put under, seeing as this is my first surgery! I am also nervous about all the "what if's".. Like: What if I wake up while they are preforming the surgery? What if they do something wrong? What if they can't get me to wake up?...

PrissyKrissy05

Asked by PrissyKrissy05 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Health

• LOL!!!!! You sound exactly like I did in January! I just had one, and it was my first surgery. Don't worry you'll be fine. I was so scared going in and all I remember was them rolling me in and the next thing I knew I was awake in recovery 40 min later! I'm so glad I did it. By the way, they give you an epidural or a spinal so awake or not you won't feel it. If you want to talk about it pm me! What ever you need.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• You sound just like me!! I had one 10 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I was so scared. They gave me Valium and told me it was just to relax me and not to put me out. I freaked out because I wasn't relaxing enough. When I went into the operating room, they had me count backward from 10, I remember getting to 9! LOL!! The next thing I remember is someone waking me up from the best sleep I ever had.

The best advice I can think to give you is make sure it's something you really want to do because many different people came to me before and told me all the things that could go wrong and if I wouldn't have had my mind made up, I may have changed my mind.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• you will NOT wake up during surgery. They knock you in the head with a mallet if you do (ok that was a joke). They don't put you under far enough for you to not wake back up. You will be fine. You are not out long. expect lots of gas when you do wake up and move around though.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Relax for one....quiet

Before you know it it will be all over with and the good thing you get to have all the sex that you want with out worrying about getting pregnant :)

I got mine done right after my second child then I got to go home the next day of course you have to recover so take care of yourself and listen to the doctor. Don't worry too much or you will make something happen just let them do their job and all will be fine.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2009