How can I prepare my three month old for her first airplane ride?

My three month old and I will be flying this coming Saturday. The first flight is 1hr and 40 min and the second 1hr. I nervous about ear aches and fussiness because of the pressure change. Does anybody have any suggestions, so I can feel more comfortable come Saturday?

K.Lacy

Asked by K.Lacy at 7:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Travel

• Give her a bottle or nurse her during take-off and landing to reduce ear popping. If you're flying around nap time this should work about perfect because she'll sleep during the flight. Other than that there's not alot you can do.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I remember my son's first plane ride was when he was 2 months old and it was 2 1/2 hrs to North Carolina. While waiting in the airport give her some infant's tylenol to sooth her for the ride. When you take off and land make sure she drinks from her bottle or you nurse her to avoid her ears popping. My son was a fussy baby and he didnt too too bad. I held him in my lap and tried to keep him occupied with toys. And if she cries I know it is easy to feel uncomfortable because she is "disturbing" other passengers, but they will just have to get over it!
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 11:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I took a blankie and a small bag with 1 diaper 1 bottle 1 binkie 1 small packet of wipes 1 bib( basically one of everything) to put in the pouch on the back of the seat in front of you, it made everything very accessible. Also Tylenol just before take off. The best thing I had was a baby sling, I had both hands free just had baby strapped in facing away from me cause they want the baby to be sitting that way when u take off and land. I am so lucky, my baby has been on 10 flights since she 2 months old and feel asleep during take off and landing every time. The staff are helpful if u need the restroom they watch the baby for u, they warm bottles for u. They baby sling is the key, they are comforatble for the baby to sleep and leave u hands free.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 4:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2009