Feng Shui- does it really work?

Feng Shui is a belief that by living in harmony with nature and adjusting our homes, businesses, and yards to adapt to geological alignments to physical elements, we will be healthy, wealthy, and wise. It is also called geomancy, a form of divination.

Has anyone tried this and if so, did it work?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• When I was teaching English, half my students were Chinese and they would try and teach me all the fung shui stuff, it was so funny. They wanted me to fung shui my classroom to improve student performance, LOL.

Anyways, one of the things they told me and I will always remember it, is that you should never live in a house where you can see out into the backyard when you walk in the front door (through a window or a door). You need to have an entry room, where you walk in and see a wall. They said if you can see out into the back yard from the front door it means that your money will "go in one door and out the other."

I was like "OH, No!"-- because our house has a huge sliding glass door opposite the front door, I always remember that and think about my spending habits (too many trips to target) LOL.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It's just new age crap...
    Anonymous

• i don't know..i've never tried it..but when i've read articles in ladies mags, suggesting how to achieve it by putting a green plant over there, while your couch faces the east/west/whatever..i've already had items in my home situated in a feng shui-manner..maybe its just innate, or good decorating, on my part. lol
    you?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My space is seriously limited in my tiny house, so I think any attempt at Feng Shui-ing anything would be futile! I've heard that it works, but like everything, I think it only works if one believes it does!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I believe that it does. My aunts an architect, as is my mom.. my grandpa is a contractor.. as is my brother.. and I went to design school at the art institute. through all of this I've been exposed to design my whole life, and feng shui isnt very common but of what I have seen, it really creates a different feeling.

I wouldnt attempt to understand it all without the use of an expert.. but alot of it makes perfect sense in a design aspect. Mirrors.. for example.... if you place a mirror right in front of your main door, where energy would typically flow in, you are pushing energy back out of the house. Energy, in this case, could be as easily translated as sunlight.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 10:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Why do people call different traditions in other's religions/spiritualities new age? I am a Celtic Pagan and my beliefs have been around for 5000 years. Same with Chinese and Feng Shui it has been around for 4,000 years. It makes a connection with the Universe and Earth.
    All I know is, I will not allow any of the beds in my house to not face the door. When my beds were not facing the door is when we had so much negative energy in our home from outside influences. When the local sports arena was build, Elders in the Chinese community said they would have bad luck because of the way it was faced. They did. They went from a winning streak to a 10 year losing streak. Not only that but them couldn't keep a business in the building. Some adjustments were made, they attracted new positive talent, the team starting winning and the businesses made money. I do not demiss any one's belief that has been around that long. I am no fool.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 7:19 AM on Jul. 6, 2009