The history of yoga. Does it go against Christian beliefs to practice it?

The history of yoga is based in the Indus Valley civilization. The techniques are practiced by the Indus to initiate spiritual growth. Since it is taught by the yogis that everything is God, it then stands to reason, man is God. Christianity, on the other hand, teaches there is a clear distinction between man and God. Since God is the Creator, we are one of his creations and created “in the image” of God.

Yoga teaches to focus on ourselves instead of on the one true God of the bible. It encourages to seek the answers to life's difficult questions within our own conscience instead of in the Bible.

Do you think this goes against Christian beliefs and do you still do Yoga? Are you able to separate the philosophy from your religious beliefs and simply use it to relax?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I practiced yoga and miss it. The only chanting we ever did was Om and Om Shanti. Om is considered the universal vibration of sound and Shanti means "peace". Yoga promotes focusing on the mind and body unification and balance implemented through techniques such as body poses, meditation, relaxation, and breathing. Also, there are many different forms of yoga that have different focuses. I practiced anusara yoga which is a form of hatha yoga. For me it was about the mind and body, however it was a very spiritual awakening for me when I started to practice yoga. It's an indescribable feeling of connection and oneness with the universe, and because I believe that God is everywhere and in everything, I felt closer to God and more in tune with my own spirit. It may sound cheesy, but that's the only way I can describe it. So personally I feel no conflict with my relationship with Christ.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I love to do Yoga. ...but then again. I'm not Christian.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I've done yoga for many years. Actually my Mother taught us when we were young (I'm 51). I don't follow "the teachings", but I do it as a form of exercise. It doesn't go against my Christian beliefs to excercise. I don't chant, I don't pray through it.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• This Christian woman at work refuses to do Yoga because she says if you meditate, Satan can get inside you more easily and possess you.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Christians are to meditate on our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We are not Gods and need The True Living God for everything. We are not capable of creating anything. Everything we do is only given by the inspiration and wisdom of God.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It isn't the physical exercises that pose a problem for a Christain. I think that yoga is healthy. My DH does yoga a few times a week because his shoulder muscles get so tense from stress and working out.

Some Christians are totally against it, just to be safe. But I personally think that unless you are getting into the meditation aspects of it, you are fine. I think I am a little more desensitized to it though because I have been in martial arts for almost my whole life, so I am very familiar with eastern philosophy and the power behind it. I used to be able to do all kinds of things just through meditation (it works). But now as a Christian I refuse to do that stuff.

I have done some yoga classes as a Christian and during the breathing exercises, when they ask you to meditate on certain things that are against my religion, I just use that time as an opportunity to pray and ask God to make me healthy.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I am a Buddhist, and I do yoga and meditate (although not at the same time.. you can easily find Yoga studios which don't combine the two).. I know many Christians who meditate and they feel it brings them CLOSER to god... that it opens their mind and lets them understand better, and some even claim that it lets them talk to god. I don't know about that.. but who am I to tell them they are wrong?

I really think its a matter of opinion.. but in my opinion, no... neither yoga nor meditation goes against the teachings of the bible.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 10:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• All I know is YOGA is healthy. I'm not going to let somenody tell me that Satan will possess me if I go to Yoga class. LOL. This is way too wierd,seriosuly. If you want to go to Yoga, don't worry about it.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• The only reason it would be agianst a christian's religion is if they were to meditate on something other then God. On another being. But if all you are doing is the excercise and if you meditate meditate on our heavenly father and Jesus and use this time as a sorta of search, if you have a quesion or jsut special time between you and God and no one else. There is no harm in the actions it's the intent behind it imo.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I am a Pentecostal Christian, and yes I do yoga. I'm not a "yogi" (as in using yoga as a form of worship), but I do it for exercise. You can read something bad into everything if you try hard enough.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2009