What pain can my unborn baby feel?

So everything I read says that my baby can feel pain. I'm just wondering what hurts the baby? What would cause said pain?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 8:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• In your uterus, nothing. They are very well cushioned. They are capable, that's all.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Oh, so they are just saying that nerve endings are developed to the point where they experience sensations, including pain but that nothing i'm doing is hurting them?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I do not think they feel much as far as personal pain, but I know they can feel it when you are in severe pain. I had to have a tooth pulled and my doc told me to take the pain meds bc the baby can feel when I'm in pain and it causes him stress. Unless there is major trauma though I do not think they feel much pain themselves, bc as PP said, they are very well cushioned! :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• they can feel a partial birth abortion other than that they are well cushioned by water trusting their mom to keep them safe.
    Anonymous

• I don't even know, or want to know what a partial birth abortion is.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• During pregnancy I wouldn't imagine any pain can really be caused to the fetus. However, Babies can feel contractions during labor and delivery- as they are being squeezed- which is why they come out so swollen. The good thing is that when in labor, your brain produces beta endorphins to help with pain coping. Your baby receives these endorphins to help them cope as well. With epidural or other drugs for pain relief, however, it tells your brain that you are not in pain and stops the beta-endorphin flow. When this happens, the baby gets no endorphins. Other than labor and delivery, though, I don't know of any other pain the baby would experience.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 9:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2009