What are your thoughts on "attached" parenting?

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• what is attached parenting?
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Makes more sense than detached parenting. What are you tying to ask?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• What are you talking about? Pls explain more thanks.
    Anonymous

• Attachment is what she meant I assume. I think it is a personal parenting decision. It wouldn't work for me but I have no problems with it.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 8:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I have followed the attached parenting but not to a T. I didnt wear my baby as much as they say to but they were always in my lap or me holding them. I agree with almost everything dr sears talks about in his attachment parenting books. My children have stuck to me like glue and then they were so secure that they did their own thing by age 1. I think i have a better bond with my children because of it.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 8:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I don't even know what attachment parenting is. Can you elaborate a little bit.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I'm an all around AP mom. But I don't think of it as attachment parenting. I see it as natural parenting while typical American child rearing is detachment parenting. Attachment parenting is following your parental instincts and responding to your child's needs. It's keeping the child close cause that's the way we're biologically designed and that's what benefits them the most mentally and emotionally. It's best for the child and parent. I think many parents nowadays have a problem with it because of the stress of "independence" in today's society. But psychology makes it obvious that forced independence isn't really independence and it isn't beneficial.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I'm also an AP mom - the goal being to raise a child with a secure attachment, therefore being able to maintain secure attachments to other personal relationships throughout life. For us, this took the form of baby-wearing when possible, but not as often as most; co-sleeping until my son chooses to not to; responding to my son's signals in a timely way that makes sense to him and doesn't leave him confused or feeling ignored. Attachment parenting is more than they physical things you do, but it's key is the way you respond to your children - understanding their signals, responding in a meaningful way, providing them the security they need to grasp independence when they are ready, basically building for them the foundations necessary to live a successful life in future relationships.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My opinion? It worked great for my daughter for the first few months of her life. After that, it didn't. At 3 months old, she was starting to get interested in her surroundings, and starting to want to play. SHE would have balked at being held in a sling for long periods of time. I use a sling quite often, but it's usually when I'm running errands or running the vacuum cleaner (she hates the sound of the vaccum). Other than that, she is free to roam around the apartment. She and I have a close relationship, which is what really matters.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• For the record, AP is NOT forcing your child to be with you or in a sling when they don't want to be.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2009