This is a question for everyone.

Do you meditate? If you do, how often do you do it and for how long? And in what way do you meditate? Do you sit in a quiet room? Do you light a candle? Do you typically focus on one particular "thing"? Or do you use it to solve life problems? Lastly, is meditation something that you have or will teach your children? At what age?
Anything else that you would like to add about meditation?

I do meditate. I used to meditate more often but am having a hard time getting back into routine sense my mothers death. Once i get back onto schedule, I meditate at least once a day, for 5 to 20 minutes. I usually wait until dark. I turn off my lights and light a candle and incense. If i have prblems that need to be solved i focus on those. If not i focus on specific "subjects". I do teach my children. My 3 and half year old son enjoys an occasional guided meditation. My 4 and half year old son LOVES it.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 8:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I do meditate. Though my 'sitting meditation' practice is sorely neglected these days. I try to incorporate meditation into my daily life by being mindful of what I am doing and being focused on the present, whatever it may be. I don't necessarily meditate 'on' anything... I am more Zen in my approach where if you are doing sitting meditation, just sit, or if you are doing walking meditation, just walk. Chanting meditation is actually my favourite form of meditation, as well as meditating in a natural setting.
    I have taught my son (who has a short fuse) simple breathing meditation as a form of self control. We tell him to focus his attention on his breathing until he is controlling his anger. When he has calmed himself, he can stop and speak calmly about what it upsetting him. This has been HUGELY helpful in helping him to control his temper.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• yes I do meditate on the word of GOd and his goodness toward me. In this time is where I find peace within my soul. It is also the time we (Jesus and myself) commune. He gives me insight on answers and wisdom for my daily walk.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I don't have the patience to make meditation work!

I need to relax so badly and have tried meditation a few times, but I just can't clear my mind. Do you have any suggestions?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Ask the Lord in your life and let his love and peace fill you.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I do meditate quite a bit. Not for very long at any one time b/c the kids keep me busy. IhartU, Do you think you can find 10 minutes to yourself every other day or so?? I have a few ideas maybe, but would need to know what you've tried. If there's something special I want to meditate on I wait until the kids are asleep to do it. I have some CD's I like to play. candles in this house are a big no-no. Certain incenses, like cinnamon and sandalwood, help.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• 2autisticsmom, Thanks for the suggestions! I think I can find a few minutes after the kids go to bed and my husband goes to work. I've tried the candles, but didn't find them very helpful and CD's seem to be a distraction. I'll try the incence, is there anything else I should try?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• ptomom, i would be interested in how you meditate in the Christian way. If you want to give more info or a little how to example.
    Anonymous

• IhartU, just to add, not being able to 'clear your mind' is very common when you begin meditation. The idea is not to forcibly clear your mind, but not to cling to the thoughts that you have- just let them come and go but don't be sucked into them. Just observe them. It may also help to give your mind something else to focus on, like a chant or a prayer or a visual stimulus (like watching a candle flame.) Over time when you more easily let go of your random thoughts you will have less of them. The thoughts themselves are normal and not a problem, the problem comes when we run with those thoughts by thinking "OMG- I can't stop thinking! I am so bad at this!" and so on and so on. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Freela, that's where the whole lack of patience thing comes in. I'm one of those people who quit if I don't see results right away (that's why I have this lingering fat roll- I think it should go away after ten sit-ups!). I just have to realize it's not going to happen right away... thank you for the awesome suggestions and I'll be sure to keep them in mind when I try again.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Cd's used for meditation should not contain lyrics. If you have trouble clearing your mind try focusing on non specific things like colors. Imagine a ball in your mind and rotate the color of it. Normally I would say to keep things quiet. Maybe try to concentrate on breathing. Inhale for ten count then exhale for ten count visualize any stress being released on the exhale. It might help.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2009