My son wants to be a girl!!!!!!!!!???

This is not my situation, but if your DS came home and from school, say 8 years old, and said they wanted to be a girl. They wanted to dress like a girl, be called a girl name ect...what would you do? What if they told you they were gay, and had a boyfriend at say...14. How would you react? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, these are two different questions. Not every transgendered person is homosexual and not every homosexual wishes they were of the opposite sex. I don't know how I would respond, my son is only 11 months old, but I hope that whatever I did it would be motivated by love and compassion for my child and not by any other feelings or fears. I think I'd have an easier time with a gay child than with a transgendered one.

I think there are usually clues early on that a child feels this way, it doesn't usually happen so suddenly that a child comes home one day and makes an announcement that is completely out of the blue. In the event that it did come out of the blue I'd ask my child to please be patient with me while I take in this new information.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Whatever he wanted. Buy him dresses, call him by the name he wanted, etc. I'd follow his lead and let him know he's welcome to act like or boy or girl at any time with me and there's nothing wrong with either. I wouldn't pay for transgender surgery though cause there are always risks with surgery. If he later as an adult still wanted to, I'd worry about the health risks, but support him. If he told me he were gay at 14, I'd have his BF over for dinner. All this gender and sexuality stuff really doesn't bother me.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• OP~ Would you not worry about your son being made fun of? Especially the question about a very young child wanting to be a girl!
    Anonymous

• You know I love my child regardless who they decide they want to date or be so I would take it with a grain of salt and trust I pray to god my child is not gay. I just want my child to be happy.
    Anonymous

• Of course I'd worry. But I refuse to be another person he'd think he'd have to lie to or hide from. I'd talk to him about the social issue of it and advise him that being open about it to everyone isn't the safest way to go because some people are very ignorant, illogical, and intolerant. But he could be whoever he'd want to be at home or even at school or where ever if he felt up to it. I wouldn't try to make my child change to fit what other people deem "ok" or "normal". Only protect and love him.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I'll cross that bridge when or if I come to it... Right now we love our boys no matter what, I don't see that changing for any reason.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I love my baby boy so much.... if he ever came home and told me he told me he was gay... I would respond "Yeah babe, and I'm straight."
    And as for him wanting to dress like a woman......
    I'd lend him my stellettos
    I will always love my baby no matter what... there is no shame in being transgendered or homosexual.
    jachelle

Answer by jachelle at 12:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My hubby and I have discussed this since my husband cross dresses. He wanted to be a girl for the longest time to (well up until he met me). So we have decided if our sons want to dress like girls we will let them. We will not change their name though. And if our sons are homosexual so be it. Love is love and you don't choose who you are going to love.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2009