How can I tell if my nephew is being neglected?

Can anyone please give me some info on what to look for as far as neglect goes. My nephew is only 12 weeks old and I'm afraid he is being neglected by his parents. Please let me know what the signs for neglect are in a child that young. Thank you very much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well what do u see happening that is wrong and bad?
    Anonymous

• so far what I have seen is him not being changed (clothing wise) after 3 consecutive days and the other day she left him in a house while she and her husband went outside and partied. He wasn't checked on by either and was layed on a daybed (not an infant/toddler bed, an adult daybed) with pillows in front of him. He has really bad stomach problems doctors say they aren't sure what its coming from they have switched his formula, etc etc, I'm not sure if that is relevant or not. and he won't look anyone in the eyes when he is being fed, I know thats not a huge deal but I just wanted to give everything.
    Anonymous

• I really don't know what the signs are, but CPS does. If I even thought a child, particularly family, was being mistreated I would call CPS, report an anonymous claim of neglect and let them investigate. They will definitely get to the bottom of it and find out.

Answer by missanc at 8:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• missanc is absolutely right. If you really feel there is a problem, act now and let the professionals help!
    SgtsWife1982

Answer by SgtsWife1982 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I would say that those are signs of neglect. Leaving your baby in the same clothes for 3 days is asinine. Going out and leaving a baby unattended is just sad. And as far as the formula goes that's just plain lazy. You switch every formula they have to make sure your baby tolerates it or breast feed. And to me your baby should ALWAYS be looking you in the eyes esp at feedings. Something else might be wrong by him not making eye contact or he just hasn't bonded with his Parents yet??? I would keep a close eye on him or talk with them.

Anonymous

• Thank you for your answers and I will definantely speaking to cps among others, I will keep a close eye on it without letting my sister know what Im doing. Thank you again.
    Anonymous

• If you have to search for things, then I doubt it
    Anonymous

• If they are keeping their regular doctor's appointments then their doctor is probably looking for things too such as making sure that there is appropriate weight gain, that they are keeping their regular appointments, and that the child is clean and thriving.

If you are worried then report it. I don't know if CPS will consult with the family pediatrician, but I would think that it would be a good place to start.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I would say YES,YES,YES that child is in danger. The parents outside partying and this child is being left pretty much alone, What if he fell off the bed and hit his head or what if he woke up and he wandered off there's alot of WHAT IF'S in my head so I would just call and get CPS involve ASAP like TONIGHT. Good Luck and thank god someone is looking out for this child. ( the parents sure do seem to care) Your a good aunt......
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I have a little experience with cps (my ex falsely reported me to cps for abuse because he was trying to get custody - it ended up biting him in the butt). I imagine it's standard in most states - they consulted with the kids regular pediatrician, babysitters, family members, teachers, etc., anyone that had contact with the kids and saw them on a regular basis. After that they had to meet with the kids periodically over a certain amount of time to make sure they saw nothing, and then it was closed.

Answer by missanc at 9:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2009