Discipline

At what age should someone start to Discipline their child?

newmomof08

Asked by newmomof08 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started NO early on. At about 6 mos. If we redirect her and she continues with the previous behavior she will get her little hand popped. Not hard but enough to let her know that it will not be accepted. So far so good. We have had a few pops but she has also learned that when she hears no we don't continue with that activity. No only teaches them that they have boundaries which all children need or you will have an out of control child.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It depends on what kind of disciline your talking about, before a year old you can get them used to the word no, if they are getting into something they shouldn't you can pick them up and move them and say no. I don't think time out works unitl at least 18 months or so.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• discipline? from the get-go... if they do somethign they arent supposed to dont let them do it.
    as far as punishment, i think about.. a year and a half is when i think they can really understand "im not allowed to do this, and if i do, ill be punished."

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• As soon as they start to do things that are dangerous or undesirable. Redirection (moving them to another activity) is the best method for babies along with a "NO Hands!"
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I would not even say No to a baby under a year. Just pick them up and direct them elsewhere. Otherwisw the first word you hear out of their mouths will be NO. I'd add the No and a short explanation (No- hot or No- ouch.)after a year. I Never use the word bad. When they get to be 3, give or take a few months start with time outs and longer explanations.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It depends on what kind of discipline and how old your child is. My daughter is 6 months old, and I'm teaching her the concept of no. It's not like she gets into any trouble (lol) but she already gets the concept of "yes", so now she's learning ''no".
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My daughter is 4 months and I already say no. IE if she's tuggin on the table cloth, or reaching for a cup of tea.
    She obv. doesnt know what it means, but I think it's good to get in the habit of saying it if you know what i mean..
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2009