Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?

Eighty-five percent of Americans claim some form of religious affiliation. The public display of religious symbols, though, is always controversial, whether we’re talking about the Ten Commandments in a courthouse or nativity scenes in a park. In the ongoing debate about religious imagery’s proper place, where do we draw the line between private faith and public religious expression?

Found this topic on a website and thought I'd ask it here.(http://www.opposingviews.com/questions/should-religious-symbols-be-displayed-on-public-property)

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The First Amendment protects our rights to display religious symbols in public places. And I think as long as everyone is treated fairly inside a courtroom, it doesn't matter if the Ten Commandments are posted in the building.

The religious images posted in public places represent the people who live in that community. And we should be open to posting the symbols of other religions when the members of that religion are in that community. It should not be mandated, but it should be something that the community chooses to do. Ex. If there is a huge Chinese community, the symbols on the court should reflect that. It is up to the community

But to take away all religious symbols just because some people don't agree with them is going the wrong direction--censorship, loss of freedom, and mandated secularization. I think we want things to be fair, but this would be unfair.

IMO : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No they shouldn't.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 9:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• doesn't effect me none if they do..

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It doesn't bother me at all. I know there are people who are VERY against it though...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• i know what you were saying lol i know if my religion had things displayed on public property people would be offended and there would be an outrage about it, which is why i respect other people and would/will only display it on/in my own property :)

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Never cared either way. I think some people have to have a huge issue with something at all times or else they aren't okay.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• After having just watched a show on masonic religion on the history channel... it is everywhere and won't be done away with any time soon.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Shaneagle777,

Isn't it amazing how much Masonic imagry is around us everyday and we don't even realize it? They helped shape our Country and most people have no clue who they are.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• On a personal level, it doesn't bother me. I do think that if you display some religious imagery, you should be open to displaying any and all religious imagery. For instance, I am fine with the Ten Commandments hanging in the courthouse... but I think they should add writings from the Koran, from the Bhagavad Gita, the Buddhist Precepts, the Wiccan Rede, etc. To focus only on the writings on one group adds to the stereotype that somehow Christianity has cornered the market on morality- which is not the case.

But as for nativity scenes around Christmas and so on, it doesn't bother me as a non-Christian. I do wish that other groups would also display symbols though, whether it's a menorah or a maypole, because I do want to teach my children about various faiths and it's a good teachable moment for parents to answer questions. JMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• right, shane. there are religious symbols everywhere, people just don't know it, because the most they are familiar with is xtianity. hmm...it is not offensive to me, but i'm xtian, and even if i wasn't, i think by my age, i'd be used to seeing them, especially at the holidays, so i don't think it'd matter. idk..for me, its part of my life. do i think they should be displayed on government property? again, doesn't matter to me..but i realize its 'offensive' to others, and they like to spout 'separation of C&S' over it. whatever. as if a symbol would change your life or your beliefs from an opposite position.

i'm outta here for a bit, ladies. i'm still pissed at my neighbors, so i'm gonna go watch 'gran tarino'. hehehe. (i'm prob the only one who hasn't seen it.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009