My son and I cosleep with him on my chest. Advice?

My son is three months old and we've been cosleeping for the past month. He sleeps on his tummy on my chest while I lay slightly reclined on the couch, my side up against the edge of the couch to keep him from falling that way and a pillow on the floor in case he falls. I am a really light sleeper anyway and wake up at the slightest movement he makes. It's really the only way the two of us get a good nights sleep. I am terrified of SIDS though. Does anyone else sleep like this? Anyone have some advice to put my mind at ease?

capshcky11

Asked by capshcky11 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i did it, but in my bed not the couch.
    Anonymous

• I'm not bashing, truly. But how long do you plan to sleep that way? How do you think he's going to react when you stop?

Answer by missanc at 9:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I did it for about the first 6 weeks, either on the couch or in my bed. It was the only way he would sleep at night, therefore the only way I could get any sleep at all. He had no problem transitioning into his bassinet.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I don't think you should do it on the couch. The bed would be A LOT safer. Cos if the baby falls has a higher chance of falling on the floor and an even higher chance of getting stuck between you and the back of the couch.
    Anonymous

• I feel the same as "missanc," and I don't mean to hurt any feelings either, but it doesn't seem like this is an arrangement that will be good for you in the long run. You should figure out if you want to keep co-sleeping, and if so, the bed or a co-sleeper that sit by the side of your bed.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I would stop sleeping with him on you one the couch it's very unsafe. We just had a baby a couple of months ago that died like that (on mothers day!) The baby shifts to the side and sufficates between you and the couch. And no matter how light of a sleeper you think you are... if you claim it's the only way you get any good sleep... they you are sleeping deeper than you think.
    If you want to co-sleep then make sure your sleeping arrangments are safe.
    Is he sleeping on you because you are afraid of SIDS? (I can't really tell from the question)
    My son slept in his crib and I was paranoid of SIDS also... never sleeping well and always checking on him. I bought and angle care movement monitor that alarms if there is no movement for 15 seconds. It is what helped put my mind at ease.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I actually just stopped co sleeping but there were so many extenuating circumstances! When I had my daughter my husband and I were so nervous about SIDS. We would sleep anywhere she would sleep. It became more relaxed and eventually she started sleeping in her own crib about 2 months after she was born. My son though has been particularly hard to "ween" from co-sleeping due to the fact that his crib was in our room. We bought a "fixer upper" when we found out I was pregnant with our daughter. We have been in renovation mode for the last 2 years. The 3rd bedroom was my sewing room and I refused to give it up...until I was sick of not getting any sleep. Our son is 11 months old today and goes to sleep in his own room like a champ! It's been easier putting him to bed than it was putting Lucy to bed at first.

lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 10:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Thats lovely!!! Co sleeping is beautiful for both Mom and Baby but you need to practise it carefully. He is fine lying on his tummy but the problem really is the couch. Trying moving to bed and check out www.askdrsears.com for more advice on how to co sleep safely. My DD sleeps during the day in a sling on my chest and I LOVE IT! and am enjoying every second of it while she will sleep this way. They are only babies for such a short amount of time. DON'T CHANGE SOMETHING THAT IS WORKING NOW FOR FEAR THAT IT WILL IMPACT THE FUTURE. He will tell you when he is ready to be more physically seperate from you.

I don't understand WHY people have babies only to try to train them and get they used to little contact and the independence of sleeping alone. Its crap and not all babies can do it. JMO
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I co-slept w/ all of my kids , even my twins. I do think the bed is more safe. My kids slept on their sides w/ a wedge behind them so I could nurse them when ever they woke up.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 11:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• We had to sleep like that for the first 8 wks. She would scream bloody murder if I even put her down beside me. It was kinda dangerous b/c even tho. I'm a light sleeper, some mornings I woke up with her face down in my arm! At 8 wks. I finally got her into her crib and we've all slept better since. I bf and I really thought I was getting better sleep when we co-slept but I wasn't b/c she's a really noisy sleeper. Even though I still get up a lot with her at night (she's 4 mos.) I sleep more soundly when I'm not afraid I'll crush her. I'd say start to transition him to his own bed soon. He's 3 mos.
    Anonymous