Ideas to get rid of Fleas?

Our doh started itching yesterday & today I found a flea. We bought the bombs for the house, collars for every animal and the liquid flea repelant. I am planning on bombing the house tomorrow morning, then bathing all the animals with flea shampoo before they come back in. I also want to wash the floors walls etc... before my 1 yr old comes home. Is there anything alse I need to do or look out for? I only want to do this once & any advice would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!

wanderingmuse

Asked by wanderingmuse at 9:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Pets

• This method is VERY effective and harmless to humans:
    Take "20 Mule Team Borax" and spread an even coat in your floor, then walk it in. The next day, vacuum it up and do it again. Put Moth Ball Crystals in your vacuum to kill any you happen to vacuum up. It really works, lol, trust me I'm a dog groomer and the owner of over 50 animals.
    3Smiths

Answer by 3Smiths at 10:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• wash the animal thouroughly animal and use a steam clean the carpet it worked for us
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 9:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Thanks! thankfully the only carpet in our house is in an area the animals aren't allowed. I might steam clean it anyway though. You can never be to thorough. I wish I knew how I was going to get the whole house scrubbed in 4 hours, but I guess I will have to put on my super mom outfit :)
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 9:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I remember a few years back we were infested with fleas in the front yard and of course in the living room (infested) Just by walking on the grass they would cling to your socks and jump off later on to the carpet atleast this is what happened to us took us a while to figure it out until we actually saw them on our white socks. At the time we bought Raid flea killer it came in a spray like can and the top was purple (a pretty purple color :)....And that worked great if you want to get that too along with the bombs do it. You might was to get your yard treated as well.Oh! When bathing your dogs use "Dawn" liguid dishwashing soap I heard it helps with the fleas so I tried it and it does work. My dogs live outside...we took them to get updated on their shots and the vet said no fleas....yeah!

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Ok, I know this sounds crazy, but I have found it really works. Fleas are everywhere here in the south because of the humid weather. Someone told me to get Avon Skin So Soft -- the original kind and spray it on your dog/cat before they go outside. It repels fleas, mosquitos, flies, etc. It really does work. It works good to put around your ankles too so the fleas won't be so tempted to jump on you as you walk through the grass. It has a nice smell, but for whatever reason, pests don't like it..
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• this might sound stupid but they dont like garlic... ( the fleas )... i give my dogs garlic... and i make them eat a whole clove but i put bacon grease on it.. so they will eat it and no fleas...
    Anonymous

• Great ideas ladies. Thanks!!! Keep 'em coming. I'm creating my plan of attack!!!!
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 10:30 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• We tried flea washes, powders, sprays, combs, collars, garlic, but the only thing that worked was Advantage that we got from the vet and dropped on the cats' necks. We haven't had fleas since - (knock on wood.)

Answer by Bmat at 10:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I would advise not bombing the house. When you do, the chemical is EVERYWHERE. You will have to wash everything that stuff touches (even places you don't THINK it will touch). Granted, it does work, but for a temporal time. Fleas will always come out during the prime heat wave. I live out in the country and we battle fleas all the time, but I'm not desperate to expose my children to chemicals that may/may not cause harm. Hiring an exterminator DOES help (spraying outdoors, of course), in addition to vacuuming your floors 1-2 times a day (if you can), changing your bedding every week and bathing your dogs during the prime heat wave. Collars don't kill all the time, they're deflectors. There are other methods like putting a bowl of rich soapy water out in the room (or wherever the fleas are) in the middle of the night, putting sticky traps out in the middle of the night on the carpet; check online for other alternatives.
    HeatherV.

Answer by HeatherV. at 10:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• you cant forget your yard because thats probably where they came from so if you want o get rid of them out there you need to do something. If you arent too concerned about possibly killing some grass get table salt (a lot depending on the size of the yard) and sprinkle it all over. It also works in your carpet like the carpet deodorizers that you sprinkle down and then vacuum up. But you defiantly need to steam clean your carpets as another poster said. Fleas can be really difficult to get rid of and you have to be careful of the chemicals in flea collars and replants. Not only are they toxic to fleas but they can be harmful to your pets and your family. My dog would vomit after putting the flea collar in her for an hour so i had to use salt.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2009