At what age would you allow your daughter to wear make-up?

I ask because because i was walking past a primary school (elementary school) the other day and i saw one of the older girls. Who is only 10. Wearing eye shadow and very thick lip gloss.

I personally don't care about how parents allow their children to dress. But, my first immediate thoguht was:

"Isn't she a little young to be wearing make-up?"

(by the way, i despise lip gloss so much anyway. On ANYONE. So, that may have swayed me a little.)

Either way. Your thoughts?
Woyuld you let your child wear make-up at such a young age? If so, what would you limit her to? Do you think make-up is appropriate for a little girl?

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that thirteen is a good age to allow my daughter to wear just a LITTLE makeup--not so much that she looks like she's older than thirteen, and definitely not so much that she looks like a street walker.
    HeatherV.

Answer by HeatherV. at 10:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I think sixth grade- around 12 years old, but nothing heavy like black eyeliner until they are older.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• middle school
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• lol
    i wasnt allowed to wear make up until 13
    i think if i had a girl maybe 12 but VERY little and modistly
    I think elementary school is way to young to start with make up
    but keep in mind, she may have snuck it. i used to
    lol
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• i would let my 10 year old wear lip gloss, very light pink, shimmery.. and very light colored eye make up. not every day buit for special occasions.. nothing very dark or tacky just a little shimmer to make them feel good..
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I say a little mascara and lip balm at that age.... mascara does alot and its not too harsh if put on correctly....
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 9:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Very true. But, how could a 10 year old hide that from her parents?

If i was having a girl. I would say 14. And she has to buy it herself. And she can't borrow any of mine. Haha.

I hate make-up anyway. I hate how i seem to have it in my mind that i am a hideous wreck without it. I hate how girls say they won't leave the house without their foundation or eyeliner. It saddens me to think that such young girls feel they NEED make-up.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• at 10 she may be walking to school in the morn after parents are gone for work.....
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• my step daughter has been hiding makeup from her mom since she was 6,.,,, apperantly its not that hard
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I was allowed a very light pink blush that was almost non existent on my skin tone as well as a very light lipstick that was also non existent on my skin tone when I was 13. It didn't hurt me to have to wait, but I also don't believe in wearing makeup everyday. I put it on when I want to feel a little glamorous or when we are going out. I think that my DD will have to wait until she is around 13 to have anything of the sort. By the way her daddy is super overprotective at the age of 1 I can only imagine what will happen by the time she is 13. LOL
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2009