my daughter is always hungry!!!

She is 21 months old and always wants to eat. Right after she eats a meal she wants something else and she will scream her head off until I get her something to eat. She isn't fat, she only weighs 20 pounds. Could something be wrong or is this normal for toddlers to eat like grown men?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It depends on their metabolism. Some eat all the time && some rarely eat. My son is 22 months && some days I can't keep him full && some days he might only eat 1 good meal for me. Don't worry about it mom, if she is hungry feed her. Her eating habits will change frequently over the next few years.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• you should take her to the doctors that doesnt sound right
    Anonymous

• you could have her checked out by the ped. but generally I tend to go by what they want esp. at that age. If she's not overweight and she's hungry let her eat as long as its healthy food.
    She may be getting ready for a growth spurt. I notice with my kids they will go from eating everything in sight to almost not eating at all.
    Fine with me. The only rule in our house is if you don't eat what's there you don't get whats next.
    I tell them all the time, you don't have to eat if you don't want to and if they are still humgry after dinner /lunc/breakfast there is usually fruit, carrot or celery sticks or yogurt that they can grab.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• She could have a very high metabolisim. Talk to the doctor the next time you are there or call and talk to the nurse about what is happening.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Could she maybe have type 1 diabetes? Be so hungry and not weighing much can be symptoms. Does she drink alot and pee alot?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My sister is the same way. She's 4 now but has always been that way. She was lucky enough to get my step-dads high metabolism.

But if it worries you, take her to the doctor just to make sure she doesnt have diabetes or anything like that.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• It's normal, and just when you accept it, she is going to stop eating entirely! My daughter did this for about 2 months, and then for about another 2 months ate barely anything. Now, I feel that she's "normal".
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2009