Why did I tear?

I tore all the way when delivering my baby. Everyone else I talked to seemed to not tear at all or if they tore, their babies were 8, 9, 10 lbs. My baby was only 7 lbs. 1 oz. Why do you think I tore so bad with a small baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wish i could tell you.. i had an episomaty with my first

with my 2nd i tore from front to back... and he weighed 6lb 11oz.... the dr wanted to cut me.. but the "teacher" , it was a teaching hospital.. said no.. so i tore...

im sorry you did.. use the tucks pads, and dermoplast,,, they really help
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Well my son was only 5lb 15oz, && I probably would have torn had my doctor not went ahead && cut me. Some people just have more elasticity in their skin. You shouldn't worry about it so much, everyone is different.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It depends on all kinds of things... how large the opening is (they don't all come in one size), how your skin stretched, how fast the baby came down, how large the baby is, the position of the head... sometimes the doctor or midwife is able to help ease the baby out and give more time to stretch and sometimes not
    Many people tear... it's no big deal
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My little girl was 7lbs 6oz and I tore too. But I was only dilated to an 8 when I delivered. I had 3rd degree tears.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Did you have an epidural?Increases risk of tearing by decreasing your ability to control pushing.

Did you have an episiotomy? The greatest risk factors for third-degree perineal tears during vaginal delivery are midline episiotomy forceps delivery and oxytocin use.

Did you "Purple Push" or push while your baby was crowning? Both of these increase your chances of tearing.

How long did you push? You are less likely to tear is you deliver slowly.

Anonymous

• i was cut with both of mine and they were only a lil over 5 lbs my doc said if he didnt cut me id tear so i told him to go ahead he said its common with alot of mothers weather first or fourth time its natural just take it easy make sure u dont do anything that might pop the stichtes and ull be good if it bothers u ask ur ob or pharm. for something to use the only time mine bothered me was when id sit down the first 3 days
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My son was a little over 6 pounds. I tore like a Y.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• annon :07...

i dont believe a word you posted... i didnt tear with the baby that i had all those thigns with! and tore with my non epi, slow delivery
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• 2cuteboysrmine- she said increased risk... doesn't mean you WILL tear or that you won't if you didn't have those things... just means the chances are greater that it will happen
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i only tore a lil tiny bit, only had to have one stitch and my baby was 8 and half pounds and im a tiny girl...it has to do with your muscles and elasticity, and like what was posted up top, they dont all come in one size..i wouldnt worry about..most women tear
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 4:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2009