HOw you would react if your OWN MOTHER called you a neglectgent mother simply because you allowed your child to play out in the yard with no shoes?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I take it you and your family didn't get along too well this 4th of July weekend. Personally, if my told me that, I would just ignore her. As long as there is no glass out in the yard and no ant hills nearby, or any other thing that could harm then, then I see no problem with letting your child play in the backyard barefooted.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• there is an old saying: Blood is thicker than water, and it stains.
    Anonymous

• If your child is walking a grass, I don't see a problem with it. If it's dirt or rocks only - not a good idea.
    Anonymous

• Wow, that's pretty harsh. I'd tell her that since you're such a "negligent mother", then she'd better not spend any more time with your child.
    Anonymous

• Um, I grew up playing outside barefooted! LOL and now that I'm a mom, I still don't see a dern thing wrong with it!!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yeah I am also guessing the 4th wasn't so happy for you guys :-( This is the third post I think of yours I'm answering, I feel for you. It really sounds like you need for your childs sake as much as yours and your fiancee's to separate yourself for some time from your mom and then only go around when you can be there the whole time.

Hun, I know many and I mean many people that allow their children to run around in nice weather in the yard, hell what did you do as a child when it was hot and you wanted to run through the water. Unless there are dangers in the yard or the weather was extreme it shouldn't be a concern.

You sound like a very smart person that has gotten burned left and right by family, because I'm sure you know it's not unusual for children to go outside barefooted, nor is it considered neglectful. Your mom sounds controlling and I do hope you distance yourself and cut strings.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• LOL.....my mom was one of those parents who allowed us to play outdoors without our shoes on!!! We lived in the boonies and I'm a country bumpkin who loves to run free with no shoes. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I used to run around with no shoes on, all the time. I was always barefoot.
    The kids always wear their shoes when they go out.

My mom just never liked it when I would go outside with my socks on--oh she hated that. Now, I know why and I say the same thing that she used to say to me--I do the laundry--not you.
    jucyfrut

Answer by jucyfrut at 8:30 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Honestly? I probably would've laughed when she said it, then said something silly to totally blow off her comment and change the subject.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2009