I know vegetarians are healthier but is eating like that good for you?

I've never seen a overweight vegetarian,so their meatless diet is good but I could never give up meat,I need the fat/protein for my hypoglycemia but I would like to cut out red meat.What's it like being a vegan,what do you eat?I've heard they eat alot of carbs,you'd think that would make them gain weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Health

• Where are your research journals you speak of anon? Ever heard of Loma Linda? Yep Seventh Day Adventists! And guess what, they don't eat meat. They also happen to be one of the biggest and strongest Cancer Units, NICU, and heart center in the nation. Google it. You don't need animal protein to be healthy.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I know there's different types like those who don't eat eggs or they eat eggs.I just want to know what kind of carby foods they eat,crackers or what.I know there's types that don't drink milk and those who do.Which one are you and what's your weekly menu like.Thanks
    Anonymous

• My mom raised me a vegetarian, and although i'm not now, trust me there is plenty of healthy, delicious ways to live without eating meat. I never had issues with protein or high carbs. People make ridiculous assumptions about their unknowns. Vegetarians actually are very very healthy people. My mom looks like she's in her early 40's and she's in her md 50's, she contributes it to her diet.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• We ate dairy, but no meats. Vegan is no animal products whatsoever. My mom chose not to eat meat because of growing up having to eat game all the time and cutting off chicken heads and eating the same chickens all winter.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I'm sure she looks great, eating vegetables and fruits all day long,everyday,every year and so on.I need the fat/protein in meat for a illness I have but I do try to limit my meats more these days.I know they eat alot of beans,brown rice and wheat pastas,they get their fat from olives and avocados.I admire anyone who can eat like this,count yourself very fortunate to not have to eat meat, I envy you.
    Anonymous

• My mom get's plenty of fats and proteins. There are several surprisingly delicious meats made out of soy protien and she still uses dairy.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• What makes you think vegetarians are healthier than people who eat animal protein? The fact that they're thinner? That's a mistake! Statistically there is a very high incidence of both heart disease and cancer in vegetarians... a fact that is prevalent in a lot of scientific research journals but which never makes it into the mass media. Veggies and fruits are great, but the human body also needs animal protein, including fats, in order to be of optimal health.
    Anonymous

• I have read that vegetarians have a higher incidence of Osteoporosis. It seems to me that some animal protein is necessary. Chicken? Or fish? Dairy , certainly for strong bones. I rarely eat red meat--usually fish. Anemia is prevalent among vegetarians too. I would talk to your doctor or a nutritionist..one with a degree, not some "pretend nutritionist" LOL. Really.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Not true they just did theory with Buddhist nuns that proved otherwise. animal protien definately not necessary. avocadoes and certain types of nuts are good fat choices. a lot of vegitarians are unhealthy due to prepackaged foods and meat substitutes. Just eating natural stuff is good enough. And I am definately a carb junkie and 5'8 134 lbs with a 25 month old and 7 month old. Check out Physicians for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) Meatless Mondays recipe and the latest research
    unwieldingdream

Answer by unwieldingdream at 11:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yeah,it doesn't matter what anybody says;if someone is thin,that speaks for itself.They won't have heart disease or high blood pressure and Diabetes, that meat eaters have.I take it back I want everyone's oppinion but I have made up my mind already.If I were to eat vegan I would still drink milk because I need the protein and it would be 1% organic and I would eat cheese and eggs occasionally for the same reason.I would eat more beans which I hear is high on their list of things to eat.I think eating vegan forces you to eat more vegetables,I mean if your not eating meat what else do you eat?Soy products are good but I heard soy was bad recently,anyone hear that,like it doesn't deliver that many nutrients everyone is talking about?
    Anonymous