Rude Neighbor? Please tell me.

We have a neighbor who ALWAYS parks her car in front of our house. We have asked her twice now to please park either in front of her own house or in her drive way. She said that she doesn't want to park in her drive way because she has trouble backing up and she doesn't like to park in front of her own house because there is a tree there and she doesn't want the birds to poop on her car. We need that space for access to our back yard, for our guests to park, AND we also have a tenant who needs to park there (when her car is there he parks in a way that basically blocks my car into the driveway). Not to mention I just don't want her car in front of my house all the time. I know that no one owns the road so technically she can park where she wants, but are we being unreasonable given that she has a driveway and space in front of her own house? She also lives alone so there are no other cars in her driveway.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• She's rude. I'd try to avoid a neighborhood feud though. I hope just knowing that you are in the right is enough!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Sounds like you not only have a B* for a neighbor - but an ignorant and selfish one. Stuff like this is just like the person that gets RIGHT in peoples face (personal space) when talking - no there is no "rule" that says you can't - but it sure makes you look bad if you're the only one who DOESN'T recognize that it's an unspoken token of respect to not barge into other people's personal spaces. If you own the house, and she owns the house - it's a "legal standoff". You could contact your neighborhood watch officer and have them advise you on how best to handle it - or to help you with it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Maybe put something where she can't park there. Or you could be really mean and let your "kids" "accidentally" scratch her car or break a window or something, and when she says anything say well the kids were just playing in there OWN yard and your car got in the way. Yes I am evil LOL!!!!! Just hope she doesn't sue.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 10:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Thanks, but we don't have a neighborhood watch. We over heard her complaining to her (I think) nephew about it and he told her that she can park anywhere after the stone wall in our yard, saying that the wall is the property line - but it is not where the line is! We're hoping that we don't have to PAY to have the yard surveyed to prove to her that this is where our property is.

Besides - she has plenty of other places to park! Why park in front of our house? That's like saying "oh I have to poop but I don't want my bathroom to stink so I crapped on your front porch."
    Anonymous

• HA! Sounds like the problem I had but my neighbors actually block the driveway. Sad to say that the street is public and people can park in front of anyones house. My moms gets pissed off about this also, I tell her hey, there is nothing we can do about it. I have seen 2 elderly neighbors come up with their own solutions.One lady put a cardboard sign asking ppl to please not park in front of her house because it makes her nervous! The other is a house near my job and I swear this little old man painted his curb handicapped BLUE! I have actually caught him repainting it when it fades. Good luck. Oh I've got an idea! By one of those fake fire hydrants and put it where she parks. Then when YOU park there just take your fake fire hydtant inside!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• .... Start parking in the spot?... ACtually! Park in her driveway! She isn't using it!
    Anonymous

• In my neighborhood everyone parks on the street. If you want to save a spot when you leave you put folding chairs or a garbage can in the spot so no one can parks there. It's mostly done in the winter so people don't steal your freshly shoveled spot :) Good luck.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 10:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Ask her if your tenant and guest can start parking in her driveway since she is not using it. I doubt she will say yes, but its worth a try. Or you could just start parking there yourself and when you leave have somebody else park there, keep it occupied so that she cant.
    I be mad also.
    Anonymous

• Um, sorry, she isn't being rude. If she is parking on a PUBLIC street, she can park where ever she choses and there isn't anything you can do about it. You do not own the street.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• You can post a sign in front of your house notifying others that you dislike it.. Or talk to your local police or city hall. Some places will let you buy a parking spot on the street to reserve it. At least if you complain about problems with your neighbor, the police may scare her enough not to park there.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2009