Isn't California broke??

So why are the taxpayers expected to foot the bill for the police/security around MJ's memorial? Aren't the families usually responsible for that?? If I lived in CA I'd be pretty darn ticked off about this!

"The Michael Jackson memorial in downtown Los Angeles on Tuesday is expected to draw a huge crowd, but the LAPD is trying to talk people who don't have tickets out of coming.
The LAPD will also block off several square blocks around Staples Center (see above) but may expand the area based on the size of the crowd.
McDonnell also said the LAPD is working with the Jackson family on a "private family function" at the Forest Lawn cemetery. He had no other details.
To help reduce costs, McDonnell said they would try and send as many cops home as quickly as possible -- crowd size willing -- and that cops making OT would be the first to go. So far, he said, no private entities have step forward to help alleviate the cost."

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep Cali is broke, that's why I moved. But it's funny how they find ways of paying for things isn't it...
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I would have thought the family would be responsible for hiring security for this type of function. I am sure this doesn't burn the asses of all of the taxpayers that were supposed to get a tax refund and instead got an IOU.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Because its the land of excess....if you can't afford it, buy it any way...
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I guess they feel those tax dollars are better spent on MJ's funeral then my special needs child's health insurance.
    Anonymous

• Yet they are talking about paying unemployment with IOU's.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• California spares no expense for its overhyped celebrities while tent cities grow and citizens starve. Yet California is the pattern Obama is using for his own agenda. He wants the USA to be like Cali. We are so screwed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• the family should not have to pay for apubilc funeral.. just their private one. The public should pay for the public funeral ... tickets and so forth. Those tickets should go to pay for the building and the cops .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Shaneagle777 "Those tickets should go to pay for the building and the cops."

I like how you say 'should'! lol Why then in the article does it talk as though they're looking for private donations to subsidize the cost? Shouldn't they have an idea as to what this will cost and set the ticket prices accordingly?

It just seems absurd to me in a time when the state is issuing IOU's to it's citizens that it would then put on an unnecessary public spectacle like this.

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• The city is now asking the family or his promoter to pay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• There are many other states that are also broke and without a budget. They just don't make the news because of the size of the states in question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2009