What does 'Harm ye none' mean to you?

I had a pretty bad ant problem. But i was reluctant to do anything about it. Every person i asked about a non harmful way to get rid of them only offered things that were not harmful to people. ...well, that's good. But i also sort of had the ants in mind too. lol. Finally a friend of mine suggested spraying cinnamon oil at the places where they are entering my home. ...I had my doubts about its effectivness. But it's purpose is to stop the ants from coming into the house, not to kill them when they actually do get in the house. So i bought some. And i tried it. And thank the Goddess! it works! i diluted it a little bit with vinegar and water. But my kitchen is more ant free then it has been sense a week after i moved it. AND i'm not bothered by the fact that i'm killing something, because i'm not killing anything. (well, sometimes they get stuck in it and die. ...but that is not the intent. lol)

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 10:08 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I appreciate the "all natural" tip my friend. I will not use a chemical pesticide in my house. I even have a company come out and spray with an all natural solution around the outside of my house, because the chemical stuff freaks me out.

But that is great. Thanks for sharing this.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Oh! and my house smells really yummy too! lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• alright then,,,I would still pop out the raid just like i did this morning for the ant farm that started at my garage door
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 10:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• You can't go your whole life without harming anything. You have to be realistic and do what's necessary.
    3Smiths

Answer by 3Smiths at 10:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I was and am very realistic. I was almost at my ropes end. My friend suggested this just in time. lol. I even bought some eco friendly bug killer just in case the cinnamin didnt work. But it does! yay me! AND i get to live in harmony. who would'a thought? :)
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I'm glad. :)

btw.. thanx for the tip.. I'll have to try that at our front door.. the other stuff didn't work... didn't kill them or keep them out..

but now I can keep them out :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Awesome, thanks for the tip. I am like that as well. I have caught bees and spiders in the house and put them back outside...and I don't like spiders...LOL
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• lol.. cinn.. be glad you don't live in my town.. we have FMC.. which is a chemical company.. and they've had to dig up so much property and clear it out because of arsenic. (a chemical they use to produce for farmers in our area). .

it also reminds me of when I was little. I was around 2 or 3, and my uncle let me watch.. return of the living dead part II.. and for 2-3 years I was afraid of chemicals (afraid it would bring back the dead).. my parents never corrected my fear because at least it kept me away from anything harmful for a few years. lo.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I'm glad! And I appreciate the tip! I love cinnamon, so this is a great idea to try if/when we start to see ants (which is practically inevitable in the summer!).
    I'm happy you were able to get rid of your ant problem without going against any of your convictions!
    And to the people who say its not practical/realistic, there are religious people who do go to extreme lengths to respect life - I would recommend reading up on Buddhism, because they're one of the religions that stress compassion for all living creatures. Its out there, and its something people find ways to practice!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I also try not to harm anything, including ants and bugs that make it into the house. I generally try to scoop them up in a tissue and put them back outside. I also really stress to my kids that we don't want to harm anything unless there are no other options. If a compassionate option exists (ie. putting the spider back outside instead of stepping on it) we should choose compassion.
    As someone else pointed out, it is impossible to go through life without harming anything. And I think Buddhism, which I practice, is in absolute agreement with this. When we look at it, our very lives are based on the fact that our bodies slaughter viruses and bacteria with efficiency. If not we would all die of our first cold. 'Do no harm' (or the Buddhist precept of non-violence) is not a moral absolute. It's an idea that we strive for with the knowledge that we will never attain it. But striving for it is still worthwhile.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009