why to catholics drink wine at service.. and some chirstian churches

think drinking all together is wrong.. i do think that ABUSING drinking is wrong no matter what religon u are.. and as mother is not okay.. either way.. dont get me wrong here..but the whole concept that drinking is a sin confuses me.. can anyone explain.. thank u

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• its not like they all hold up a shot glass and say "cheers". in the bible Jesus ate the last supper and had bread and wine which were a symbol of his body and blood. Thats all that they are doing. re-living the last supper
    Anonymous

• it's to represent Jesus's blood. The cracker his body. It's a representation of taking in Jesus.

I don't know why some think it's wrong.. because biblically it only talks about getting drunk.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I don't believe that the catholic church considers drinking a sin.

As to the wine with communion, catholics believe that the wine is change by the priest to be the blood of Christ. So they aren't even drinking wine then.
    Anonymous

• It's only a sip anyway. We aren't gulping it down and having a party.

Anonymous

• What I have observed of Catholics during their weekly ceremony, it's just a sip. It's not a full cup, and to them it's not just wine, it's the blood of Christ. Now I grew up in a church that says NO alchohol is permited. Imo. *nothing biblical* I don't think a beer or a glass of wine is a sin. But the bible CLEARLY states that drunkeness is a sin. So the easiest way to avoid drunkeness is duh, to avoid starting drinking in the first place. If you can control yourself GREAT, but if not don't do it. Just a good idea. As far as Jesus drinking wine, yes he did. Now I do have something to explain. The story of the wedding where Jesus turned water into wine. Now read that story for yoruself and if you see an inconsistency please let me know. The wedding took pleace historians have found about 7 months after the grape harvest. Back then they didn't add things, it was prolly like 14% alchohol at most lol.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• But the juice was used in ceremonies and for special occasions, plus to get drunk lol. So here we are the wedding party. Well the wine runs out. Mary, Jesus's mother, asks Jesus to please do something. He does, he asks the pitchers to be filled with water and then when he pours it our it's wine. But read what the guests say. They exclaim that the couple had saved the best wine for last. Now read the bible and you will find two terms for wine, old win and new wine. New wine means grape juice lol and old wine duh means fermented, old. Well old wine is not sweet but it was someting better then the water they had to drink. So when the guests excalim at how the couple saved the best wine for last what would make wine better? Imo being new wine. Had it been old or fermented wine I don't think anyone would have noticed. But agian that's my opinion and how I read it. Now at the passover did it have old wine? I don't know.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It could have, since they didn't have a great way of storing their fruits and other perishables back then lol. Now whenever I do communion we ALWAYS use grapejuice. God wants us to use teh best stuff available to us. If we cannot get to a better version of the juice, then yes wine is acceptable, but as far as I have studied Jesus only used wine because it was the best available and it was a special occasion. I am NOT condemning and not saying anyone is wrong. Just saying what I have studied to be true and have come to believe.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It's the Blood of Christ and the priest does not change it, God does. It's called transubstantiation - the fact that it still looks and tastes like wine does not lessen the fact that is has become in fact the Blood of Christ. It's a miracle that makes Jesus fully present, not just in spirit but in Body, it allows us to experience the sacrifice of Christ, and allows us to partake of his Body and Blood as he commanded. So instead of drinking wine, as most non-Catholics view it (and yes, sadly, some Catholics, too), we are instead partaking of the Body and Blood of Christ.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• The wine represents the BLOOD OF CHRSIT. Also, we don't down glasses of wine, the host is dipped lightly in wine or a SIP of wine is drank. The way you are talking, Catholics are a bunch of alcohol abusing wine guzzlers. There is NO alcohol abuse going on during Communion. Also, some of the Catholic churches use NONALCOHOLIC wine during Communion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• it does not represent the body and blood of Christ. It IS the Body and Blood of Christ Our Lord.

as for the shot glass comment by the first poster...ok that was funny
    Anonymous