Is there anyway to adopt a child without spending thousands of dollars?

We want to adopt a child. We have plenty of love to go around and we want to help a child feel loved. We can't afford the thousands of dollars upfront, but we can afford to meet another child's basic needs and a few extras. I don't care where the child is from. Fostering is out of the question since here you have to be 35 to be a foster parent. Thanks so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• you can go thru the foster care adoption program. so ur not fostering ur adopting. or look in other counties if that rule applies to adopting the former foster children as well. Look at near by counties
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I don't think so. From what I've heard (and I could be COMPLETELY wrong) but you have to be a bit wealthy to begin with. There are all those legal fees too, since most adoptions require some sort of lawyer and legal papers.

And like I said, I could be COMPLETELY wrong about it all. In order to get the best info, I would call an adoption agency and set up an appointment to talk about the requirements and etc.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• If you find a private person who wants to give her baby to you. My dd was going to let my niece adopt. It would only have cost the court fees but nothing else. The bio dad was a jerk and wouldn't sign so it didn't happen.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My mom "gave" her baby to a couple... pretty much free except they had to travel from washington to florida and back and pay for a lawyer. Maybe find someone like that.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Do a county adoption program. It's the private adoptions (usually babies) that are expensive.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• There are thousands of children in the state fostercare systems that are legally free for adoption, but because they are older & ppl tend to want infants, they languish in the fostercare system until they are 18 & kicked out. You can often adopt for free or at very little cost through the state fostercare system, and some states even provide additional incentives to adopt from the fostercare system. For example, in my state the adopted child has medical coverage through the state until they turn 18 and the state will kick in for college tuition as long as the child goes to a state school - stuff like that. There are even credits you can claim on your income tax.

What you are considering is a wonderful gift and I wish you every blessing for success in expanding your family!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Adoption through social services is relatively cheap. I had to put $220 up front but got it back in the end. You can go to www.adoptuskids.org for America's waiting children. These kids are available for adoption, no fostoring. Michigan's waiting children www.mare.org
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• social services! let them help you get the paper work and classes done, here they are more than willing to search other areas of the state for you. depending on age you are looking at adoptuskids.org has kids all over USA, a lot areolder and sibling groups, but not all. are you in the US, i have never heard the 35 requirement, only stability requirements.
    BandME

Answer by BandME at 11:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2009