my two year old is speech delayed.. we have him therapy.

once a week.. we just started this last week.. but he has become frustrated with knowing what he wants but not being able to speak his words... so far not one word yet..he is bright and smart little pill let me tell u.. but we are working on the signs so he can tell us if he done or wants more.. he has nailed all done and more which is great.. well here is the question..? would u discipline a child differently whom is speech delayed...? we he is tired and is getting super frustrated and cant think or reason with us to sign.. he bites or hits.. my dh gets kinda a frustrated and is tempted to spank his little butt.. but i wont let him bc i feel that its unfair bc he cant communicate with us his needs... am i letting him take advtage..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• hitting him only teaches him to hit. It doesn't discipline him. My grandson just went through this. He's 2. Turns out he couldn't hear out of one ear. Have you had his ears checked by a pediatric ENT? NOT just a plain old dr but an ENT (Ear Nose and Throat specialist). The regular dr kept saying he was fine. he was NOT fine. We all knew it but the dr was an idiot. We ended up in the ER with him one night and the ENT was on call. He came in and found the problem now the grandson is doing much better and catching up quickly.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Well you have to remember he is only 2 and imagine yourself not being able to communication with others..... He has no choice but to get frustrated its natural and its not his fault.... try your best to be patient with him, in time it will all get better..... I don't think spanking him will make things any better.... There are many kids this way and you need to continue teaching him the signs and even if you play some type of game with him so that he can get better with the signs. good luck...
    mybabyjr

Answer by mybabyjr at 11:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Until he begins to communicate through spoken language, or through sign, you may want to give him some plastic cards of simple pictures for him so when he wants something he can show the appropriate picture.
    I didn't read that he has a hearing disorder so it is not a bad idea to set some ground rules with him, even at 2 years old. When he does a certain behavior that you do not approve of, tell him to stop it and if he does it again he will sit in time-out. If he does it again soon after you spoke with him, then pick him up, place him in a quiet area, and set a timer for time out. If he gets up, sit him back down and tell him he has to sit in time out until the timer buzzes. Keep up with this - he will learn it.
    By all means, never spank him. I have swatted my children's bumms, but they were able to speak to me and tell me what they want. If your son can't tell you and he gets hit, then he won't say anything at all.
    HUGS
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• We went thru a similar situation. Not so much biting, but hitting and kicking and throwing tantrums. My son started speech therapy once per week when he was 2 and now he's 3 1/2 and graduated in May. Things are much more frustrating when the child can't communicate well. We did time-outs because removing him from the situation and helping him calm down and relax worked much better than riling him up with a spanking or something. A speech delayed child's stress level is far higher than a child who is able to communicate and while I don't think the child shouldn't be disciplined, I think a higher level of understanding where the child is coming from is needed. Also the "use your words" phrase when the child is already upset used to push my son over the edge into a major meltdown. Good luck! I'm sure the speech therapist will be able to help out a lot!
    erika.lyn

Answer by erika.lyn at 11:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2009