Abortion in retrospect and secular thought

What do you think of this article?

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/civil-religion/abortion/2009/07/after-tiller-two-ex-abortion-doctors-speak-out/

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 10:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• a moving article.. I'm really against late term abortions even though I'm pro-choice.. because a lot of doctors do it without any real medical reason. I can't sway to pro-life, because I've had my own person experience with medical issues forcing me to have an abortion. But I really don't like late term abortions.. I think they should do what they can at this point, to help the child and mother, and give references to adoption agencies.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I think with enough research time I could find you 2 abortion doctors that do not regret being abortion doctors and that would cancel out the two she mentions in her blog.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 11:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I was, of course moved by it, because I am anti-abortion (in most cases). I did find the article to be a bit towards the authors bias.

The argument between doctors over pro-life vs. pro-choice is not necessarily "is it a baby or not." Ultrasound shows that it is indeed a living, moving, feeling, heart beating, brain-wave emitting, being. I have not encountered an abortionist that argues that. What they argue is, that it is within the mother's body, so it is her choice. What I think these two doctors are arguing is that they feel the personhood of a fetus establishes that it is not as much of a choice as people want it to be.

Besides being the product of a raped teenager and grateful that she chose live for me and not abortion, I am mostly "pro-life" (for lack of a better term) because I too argue personhood. Even animals and the fly Obama killed at a press conference have advocates. Why shouldn't human fetuses?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:57 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I just thought it was interesting because often times people make it a "religous" issue. But it is neat to see people who say it is wrong without bringing religion into it, just using the facts of the procedure.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009

• It didn't really affect me because they are only saying what I have said for years. There is no medical necessity for late term abortion, period. That is the most valuable piece of information that can be gleaned from this article, the second doctor gives intelligent alternatives to those who would argue the need for late term abortion.

My twins were born at 32 weeks, barely into the third trimester. Most people do not realize I could have gone to the doctor and had a late term abortion just days before they were born. So don't call a baby a fetus, it is a baby.

And realize that if that baby's head passes out of the mother's body it is considered born and can't be touched. So it is only by a matter of inches that a baby goes from fetus, or part of the mother's body, to baby with rights of it's own. And this makes sense to anyone?

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2009