How long after pregnancy until I'll be able to pick up my two year old?

I miss picking him up and spinning him around and I really miss picking him up and giving him hugs. My due date is tomorrow. My dr. hasn't put any weight restrictions on me....but I just can't lift him and figure that is a sign I shouldn't. It feels like I haven't given my kiddo a real hug in 9000 years! So how long after I have dd until I will be able to play normal with ds?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 10:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Um, if you have a vaginal delivery with no complications you'll be good. Just listen to your body.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• They tell you not to pick up anything heavier than the baby for 6 weeks.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• NO NO NO picking up at least until after your check up. Sit down and let the little one sit in your lap or hug you while sitting. DO NOT pick him up. It's not like he's going anywhere. You can be patient.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No. Not for about 6 weeks or at least after your check up. I know how hard it is (mine are 18 months apart) what I used to do issit and let him climb on my lap (w/o the belly in the way I could actually hold him closer). But its REALLY imp. to give your body time to recover or it'll be even longer.
    Oh and we'd roll hug on the bed.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yeah, if you have a vaginal delivery you don't need to wait 6w. If you have a c/s then you need to wait, but with a vaginal delivery your muscles aren't cut or anything, so you'll be able to lift him. Like the previous posters said listen to your body, but 6w shouldn't be necessary.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Vaginal delivery you should be able to pick him up right away. My cousin has kids about a year apart and she picked up the older one right away. If you have a c-section, you have to wait atleast 2 weeks to lift anything. I couldn't even lift my son until after I had the staples removed. If all goes fine, then listen to your body.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I would wait atleast 4 weeks. My DD was almost 15 months when DS was born. I had a vaginal delivery with no complications, went home 36 hours later. and even though the DR told me not to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds I picked her up anyway...big mistake! I started bleeding really heavy! I didnt think anything of it the first time or really the second time but by the 3rd time I realized I was bleeding so heavy from picking DD up. I called the DR just to be safe (I was soaking pads in 10-15 minuites immediately after picking her up but it would slow back down after about 30 minutes.) and he confirmed that was the reason for the heavy bleeding, he said that was my bodys way of telling me I was over doing it. I stopped picking her up and I never bled real heavy again. I didnt start picking her up again until my bleeding pretty much stopped at 4 weeks and I was ok after that. Just take it easy and listen to your body!
    Vsoul0608

Answer by Vsoul0608 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2009