Reusable Diapers

Have you used them? What kind should I buy? How many should I buy to start with?

jessicasea

Asked by jessicasea at 11:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• b4 my pregnancy I was a nanny for this family and that was all that they used. I didnt like them for many reasons like they made the kid look like he had 5 diapers on...LOL I though that was so weird and u could just tell that all that was in his was when he would try to walk or sit..

The family I nannied for had like 100 cloths and like10 of the things that go over the cloth, I dont know the material. Il call it a diaper cover

but other than that I think their way more cost efficient but I cant anser the rest of he question because I dont know
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My sister has Fuzzi Bunz diapers. They're kind of expensive, but really cute. She just got the medium size. They'll fit a baby from I believe about 15 lbs to 30 lbs. Her daughter started in them at about 4 months, and we all figure they should fit her until she's ready to potty train. She only has a dozen, she washes diapers about 3 or 4 times a week, and she never runs out. I think she spent about $200 for 12 each of diapers, liners, and cloth wipes. You don't need diaper covers for Fuzzi Bunz, the cover is built right into the diaper, and they're easy to use, too. You just put a liner into the pocket inside, put it on the baby, and it closes up with snaps. No pins or anything.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I started out cheap and I like my system so well, I've never branched out into any of the new styles of diapers (all in ones, fitted's, pockets, etc). I got a gdiaper starter kit ($25). The box comes with 2 cloth covers, two snap in plastic liners, gdiaper inserts (flushable, biodegradeable, and the wet only's can be composted). I keep a few inserts around for traveling but they're really expensive so they're only used on the road. Then I went to Wal Mart and got two dozen Gerber prefolds ($11 each). You really have to pay attention to the packages though. Gerber also sells 3 ply gauze "flat" diapers and those suckers turn see through after one washing. For diaper purposes, the gauze ones are pretty much useless. (Con't)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• (Con't) The gdiapers, btw, come in small, medium, and large and fit little ones up to 36 pounds.
    So, here's how I use the stuff: Get out a cover, snap in the liner. Then fold a prefold into the liner. Diaper goes on baby. The diaper that just came off, if it was only wet goes straight into the diaper bucket (old paint pail with a good tight lid). If there's poop, I rinse that off in the toilet, then throw in the pail. When I'm down to about a day's worth of diapers (six or so for my toddler), I throw the diapers in the laundry with whatever else I'm washing. I wash pretty gentle, with borax and vinegar for the bleach and fabric softener. My diapers come out clean and fresh smelling, and the other clothes smell just fine also.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Join a cloth diapering group. I went cheap and got prefolds with covers. I bought 4 dozen prefolds and 6 Thirsties diaper covers. I usually just wipe the covers clean and machine wash them like once a week. I hear great things about fuzzibuns and bumgenius. Everyone loves thirties too. Lots of online cloth diaper stores have newborn packages so you can sample different kinds and see what you like best.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I went with the prefolds. I love them because since they are so cheap I don't really care for taking extra precautions in washing them. I just throw them in the wash and dryer and when they start getting dingy, buy another package for twelve bucks. I also bought covers on ebay that are designed just like disposable diapers in how you put them on. I LOVE them. Makes life simple. Just recently I purchased some AIOs and they are great for going out in. Just buy a few of each kind and see which one you like!
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2009