Am I the only mom who still rocks their 12 month old to sleep at night?

I'm serious. It seems like everyone else's 12 month old's are going to sleep by themselves. I asked this question anonymously because I'm afraid of the bashing I'm bound to receive. Please tell me I'm not a horrible mom!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's precious.
    I know it is good for a child to learn to go off to sleep on their own, but a little cuddling and rocking from mommy or daddy on occasion is a wonderful bonding experience. ♥

My youngest daughter (age 15 years) will come to me every so often and lie down with me to cuddle up. She still wants to "connect" and keep that bond, which I cherish and always will. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:47 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My child is 2 and I still sometimes rock him to sleep. i love my child and he is only young once and he is my only child and mother love there kids and feeling close to them. Nothing wrong with that.
    Chize

Answer by Chize at 11:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My son has been going to sleep on his own since 9 months old, and won't even let me rock/cuddle him to sleep. If he's really sick he likes to snuggle but other than that, when he goes to bed he just wants to be left alone.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I love rocking my 12 month old to sleep and I dont care what anyone thinks- its ur child- and hes only a baby once........... " Babies grow up weve learned through our sorrow-Quiet down cob webs, dust go to sleep I'm rocking my baby and babies dont keep"-Its a poem my Grandmother taught me. I used to work @ a daycare in the infant room and we rocked the babies every day and they stayed until they could walk. Ur baby is very lucky!
    Anonymous

• You are not a horrible mom. It's great bonding and they will only be babies a short time. My daughter is 2.5 and she just outgrew it.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My 2 year old still nurses to sleep, so KINDA the same thing, lol. Do I wish she would go to sleep on her own? Sure. But I love her to the ends of the earth and will do what she needs me to do.

I think every child is different - if yours needs it, then give it give it! Lol.

Some people will "train" their children to sleep on their own, even like really young. Usually this involves the cry it out method. I think this whole concept is sad and disturbing.

But yeah, it's probably just your child's personality. If you ever have another, who knows, he/she may want to go to sleep on their own.

Both my friend and I parent in very similar styles (BFing, co sleeping, no crying), and her 1 1/2 year old will sleep anywhere, and go down virtually on his own. My 2 year old? Ya right!

You're doing a great job, don't let anyone tell you there's something wrong with what you're doing. You're loving your baby, nothin' wrong with that!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My son never slept as a baby, it seems like when I wasn't at work, I was rocking him and falling asleep before he did, lol. You do what u have to do to get peace in ur life. Rocking is known to not be good for the child because it develops a habit that's hard to break (what ur going thru). However, my son may be a little difficult as far as needed alot of attention, but that's why I became a parent in the first place, to bond with my kids and giving them what they need to feel safe. He's too big to be rocked now, and he even wipes off my kisses with his hand. I kinda miss those days
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I apologize for my grammar, i really need to learn how to type
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i still rock my daughter (who just turned 1) and i don't care what anybody has to say about it. she will eventually learn that when it's time for bed she needs to go and lay down, but right now i love rocking her. she's a very independent child and is constantly on the go. when she's tired is the only time i have to cuddle and snuggle with her. for the first 10 months i nursed her to sleep. when she weaned i gave her a bottle before rocking her to sleep. now she has a sippy of milk before she goes to sleep. i've never sent her to bed with a bottle, she doesn't get a sippy in bed. my mom loves rocking her as well because when i was little i didn't allow her to rock me, i prefered to go to sleep on my own in my own bed. each kid is different and i'll take my snuggles anytime i can get them.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I nurse my 23 month old to sleep at night. I LOVE that time together and couldn't imagine forcing this or any other milestone on her. I think you rocking your 12 month old to sleep is great (and there's no "still" about it), enjoy that time for it will be short lived.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 1:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2009