I'm confused about low carb fruit,does that mean low in sugar too?

I was told that I can eat only berries on low carb but I mainly stuck with blueberries,raspberries and blackberries.Now I hear you can eat watermelon,oranges,peaches and plums,the list goes on and on..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Many fruits are high in carbs. It really depends on the reason you are watcvhing carbs. If it is simple weight loss then you have more options. If it is for diabetes you have to be much more careful. Oranges and basically all citrus is very high in carbs/sugar and as a diabetic have to be limited. Berries are great because they are high in fiber. You subtract fiber from total carbs to get net impact carbs. Grapes are relatively low in carbs but have little fiber. Watermelon, pineapple and oranges are way too high for me personally. Veggies give you much more 'wiggle' room when it comes to nutrition, carbs and fiber.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:37 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• go to atkins.com there is a list on there that tells what all has carbs and how many. What you can eat depends on what phase you are in......
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 11:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I just read something that eating excess protein turns to fat,just wanted to share with you all.
    Anonymous

• I mean most low carb diets are high protein,so it's good to know.Has anyone else heard this?
    Anonymous

• There are no low carb fruits, but there are fruits that are lower on the glycemic index than others, meaning it takes longer for the body to digest them, thus you don't get the full carb effect. If you are on a low carb diet then you just have to be careful of how much fruit you consume because fruit does contain carbs. Serving size is another thing to be aware of. Since grapes, bananas and watermelon (examples) are high in sugar you can have less of them than you can of apples, pears or plums.

Oh, and NO, that's not true about the protein turning into fat. The thing with that is that most protein foods come with a lot of fat and the Atkins diet was notorious for combining high protein with high fat intake ( I believe it is no longer that way.) CARBS are turned into fat if they aren't burned, extra protein is excreted by the body.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• There's alot of diet garbage sites out there, why would they say that?Print protein turns to fat it's so confusing.This is where paying for weight watchers is worth it!
    Anonymous