I'm thinking about joining Weight Watchers. What do I need to know before deciding?

I'm trying to lose 50 lbs before my DH comes home from deployment. I've already lost 7 lbs last month but my goal is 10 lbs a month until the weight is gone. I know Weight Watchers works on a sort of points system, but that's all I really know. What else do I need to know? Also, if you have other weight loss ideas, please, let me know. Thanks!

Nik8608

Asked by Nik8608 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I like weight watchers the best because they allow all foods,you don't have to go low carb but they have a program like that now.When you go there they will give you food books with all the points to a food,these have been the most helpful to me.I bought the books thru weight watchers,I didn't go to meetings or anything.I think I saw the books advertisement in their magazine.Then they will sit you down and you will tell them what you eat the whole day and then they will say you should eat this instead and make a menu for you,I think,my mom went thru them and told me stuff but that sounds right.It sure takes care of all of the guess work having to plan out all your meals,it's so much easier,people who can go to weight watchers are so lucky,I know it gets tedious weighing in every week but there's so much less stress than doing it on your own.Good luck to you,weekly meetings and all the support you could ever want,best program.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 12:11 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are just putting yourself on the gain/loss rollercoaster; frustrating for you, & hard on your body. In order to get to and maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    Start with regular exercise, as simple as walking, for at least 20 min a day at least 3 times a week. Next, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Now, eat your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 6-7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big salad before meals

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2009