anyone know what i can do to keep dd's head up when asleep in her car seat?

she is rear-facing in a true fit. anytime she falls asleep her head falls forward (chin to chest and crooked), and she looks extremely uncomfortable. are there any products i can buy to keep her head upright while she is sleeping? i have tried the supports that come with the seat, and a head/neck support from babies r us that said it was an award winner-neither helped. it really bothers me because i think about what it must be doing to her muscles and spine while she is slumped over like that. any suggestions are greatly appreciated! tia ladies!

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have u tryed the ones that have two lil animals on the ends i forget wat theyre called but they wrap around their necks and work pretty well mine just didnt like it they sell them at walmart ... i have also used a small (one of the childs) or small towel and rolled it up and put one on both sides of their head (while sleeping or theyll just pull it rite out) but kidds for some weird reason are comfy like that it hurts us to look at them like that but if they wasnt comfy they would move themselfs till they were mine are both forward facing now and they still do this and yelll at me when i try to fix them
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I was just talking to my aunt about this because I feel so bad when my 3 yr old slumps over like that when he falls asleep. I said someone needs to invent something to prevent this! Can't really give you any answers but babies have been having their heads like that forever so I guess it doesnt hurt the way we think
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 11:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Get a new car seat, there are many that recline.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 11:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• If you find something, let me know. My daughter is fine in her carseat since it has a low recline, but in her swing at home she looks so awful all slouched over! I am constantly trying to position blankets around her so that she is propped up, but it never works!
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 11:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Roll up a towel or two and put it underneath her seat on the seat of the car. Right up against the back of the seat. That her should help her seat recline more. We had to do that with our infant seat because once we buckled it into the van seat, there wasn't much of a reclining position.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I agree with first poster. They have them at walmart. It just goes around their neck. Kind of looks like a neck support. It doesnt hook to the carseat or anything so it's easy to take away. I tried to find it on walmarts website but no luck. They do have them at the store tho, and I'm sure Target or Kmart has them.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• thanks ladies, i have tried the towels around the neck and the some of the pillows, she just pulls them out and if i try to put them there after she's asleep, it just makes her mad. the one support that she couldn't pull off, didn't work. maybe i'll try the towels under the seat, but does that affect the safety of the seat? i just recently got the seat, so i can't really afford to get a new one and i don't think they are returnable after being used, are they? ah, i will report back if i find something that actually works! thanks!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• ok, maybe i'll try the one with the animals on it as well, thanks!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Is there a chance that the seat is buckled in too upright? Maybe you could try leaning it back a little. I would think it could be that because our kids' heads only fell to the sides and it doesn't seem possible with the position of our seat that they could go forward like that. Maybe she is comfy and likes it that way though!
    Babygirl1971

Answer by Babygirl1971 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• maybe i'll try the towels under the seat, but does that affect the safety of the seat?

Check your manual. Some car seats allow for the towels. I know Britax does, but I don't know about the Trufit. If it is okay for your carseat it should be in the manual. Otherwise, even if she does look uncomfortable she may not be. If it doesn't seem to bother her, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it.

JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 3:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2009