• In the Spotlight:

How long is too long for 2nd child?

I have a 9 year old daughter and desperately want to have another however I am waiting on my husband to get ready. How long is too long to wait for 2nd child? Also I am 29 years old. How old is too old for more children? I would like at least 2 more.

SakinahD

Asked by SakinahD at 11:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Follow your heart- have another one- start trying now- ur egges are not getting any younger.
    Anonymous

• I think ur okay to have another but the relationship with siblings who are closer in age are much different then those who are 10 years apart. so itll be a different challenge but at least she's old enough to understand and its not like she'll have to share her stuff or anything..LOL but she will have to share her parents which can be dificult when ur used to being the one and only for so long
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I think you're eggs will be fine. LOL I didn't have my first until 29 and my second was concieved b/f he was even 1 so eggs no prob.
    I agree with Dom the challenges will be diff. a friend of mine is having her 2nd any day now, her first is 16 another friend has them about 14 years apart (this was a rough year b/c the oldest graduated H.S. and the youngest Pre-school and the bills were nuts) so I'd at least try so that they won't have major grads at the same time.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I was 19 when i got preggo with my son (8), and I am now 28, and finally had my 2nd kid last october. I wasnt married before or anything, and his father wasnt involved, so thats why i waited, not that i had a choice. My son is a great help with my daughter and he has a love for her he couldnt understand if they were closer in age because, while good parenting helps, a good parent cant help it when their kids fight over toys. By the time my daughter wants to play with my son's toys, he won't even care anymore. It might even make them closer cuz they will lack in sibling rivalry because it's almost like theyre both only children.They will be thankful to have a sibling at all. In fact my son wants me to have more, but thats not gonna happen!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Oh yea, I always wanted to be enjoying my family after 30, not creating it. That's up to u tho, I just figure it ensures that I'm still around for ALL my kids' milestones, up to being a great-grandma
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

Well goody for you. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I am 40 my children are 2 and 12. My oldest loves his baby brother and it has been great. He has not been jealous old enough to realize there is room for him and the baby. I love that time with just the baby while my oldest is in school. As for age my pregnancies both were great. My doctors did not consider me high risk at all since I do eat right and take care of my body. I had no problems. I worked up to my due date with my first and with my second I walked 5 miles the day he was born. If you are healthy and take care of yourself you will be fine. My sisters had much more difficult pregnancies than me and they were much younger. They both were overweight and really did not take care of themselves. If you want more kids by all means have them. I am glad we waited. We enjoyed the first 10 years of marriage as a couple the last 10 years we have been a family. I would not change that a bit. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Was that sarcasm?
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I have a 1 year old and a 14 year old. probably too long of a wait, lol.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:40 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• There is 8 years between my younger brother and I. During the pregnancy I was very bitter towards my mother, I can still remember feeling so jealous. Once my brother arrived though I was Mommy Jr. Haha, he's a teenager now and I am grown and I still am Mommy Jr. I love having him and don't mind the age difference at all. I'm sure he loves it to as he has a "cool, older sister and BIL" to do things with and to stay with. Well, I don't know if I'm still "cool" to him, but cooler than mom and dad anyway, haha.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2009