moving and a 3 1/2 yr old...long sorry lotta background

ok so i asked this question a few weeks ago but got barely any ideas and i'm in need of help!!! my dd is 3 1/2 for the last 2 1/2 yrs we have lived w/my mother and brother. economic issues have made it so my parents, even w/the help my husband and i have been giving (we've been paying rent and utilities etc..) can no longer afford the house. so we are moving, my mother and brother will get a smaller place, my husband, dd, ds and i will have our own place. a little more background, my husband is deployed, left in feb, and i had our son 6 wks ago. my sister and her husband just got stationed out of state, my other sister just got sent to Cali for marine training and my other brother is stationed in japan, oh and my father, he just went out of town for 4 months for work, so basically she knows that most of her family won't be around for awhile, and now she won't get to see nana and bubba (my brother) every day all day. CONT

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 11:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i started moving boxes and smaller things to our new place last week, in the last 2 weeks she has regressed horribly. it is midnight she went to bed at 8:30, shes crying and screaming she doesn't want me to leave (go downstairs), she talks like a baby, she grunts when she wants to be picked up, she wants to sleep w/me (which has never been a reg thing, maybe once a month), and she has horrible separation anxiety (i can't even run up the street to the grocery store for 10 mins w/o her clinging to me when i try to go out the door) and i don't know what to do. i feel so bad for her, b/c she doesn't understand what is happening. and i don't know what else to do, i've told her i'll always be here and i'll never leave. i've sat with her at night, but she wants to play or talk not go to bed. i just need some ideas on how to make all of this a little easier on her, hell its hard on me and i'm a grown woman! so any ideas at all, please
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Oh dear. Just hold that sweet girl and don't feel like she needs to hurry up and get over it, and don't let anybody make you feel that way. It will be okay. Give her all the time and love and special things she needs. God bless you and her.
    EmKirk

Answer by EmKirk at 9:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Hold her when she needs it and talk her through the process - let her get involved with packing. Reading The Berenstain Bears and Moving Day and any other books you can find at the library about moving. Kids get nervous with big changes, but I found that what helped with my son is talking him through everything, getting excited about the new place, the new opportunities, the new friends. Help her talk through her fears and anxieties, she needs your help processing all these changes, and the best way to process them is to verbalize them and talk them through. Also, you might consider things like play therapy - let her act out her fears with her toys so help her deal with them; or if she likes to color, try to have her draw the way she feels. Help her also by talking about your fears and anxieties, then counter with your hopes and dreams. Let her know she's not alone and teach her ways to cope. Good luck!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2009