Down-sizing and moving.

What is a good way to "down-size" your belongings? My SO and I are moving at the end of the month, and to help us get organized and hopefully have a better "look" at the new place we want to consolidate our stuff... If you get what I am saying. We also have A LOT of blankets, quilts, etc but most were made for us so we feel bad trying to get rid of any of them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 12:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• space bags are great. put your extra linens and blankets in between your mattresses folded nicely after you get them in the space bags. if your hubby is good at making stuff, have him build you a platform for your washer and dryer and store your spacebagged goodies flat under the platform. you'd be surprised at how much an 8 inch space under there can store. if your sofa is up against the wall, store flat things back there or under your sofa, behind your dressers.
    or get some large metal brackets at lowes and an 8 foot pine board and put a simple shelf in your laundry room above your washer and dryer maybe 2 1/2 feet from the ceiling and start stacking on that. make sure your brackets are in studs and the board is screwed to the brackets.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• as your packing, look through things, what do you not like, what have you not used in about 6 months to a year, etc...sell what you think you'll get money for, donate things that can still be used, trash the stuff that is broken/worthless. as far as the blankets that were made for you, maybe hang some in the hallway, get a storage ottoman and place them in there, that way they are out of the way but you still have them. just ask yourself when you are packing if you use it often enough for you to keep. or if it has enough sentimental value. the things that have the sentimental value don't have to be out in the open, box them up and store them in a garage closet etc..and when you have enough room somewhere you can put them out, but a lotta knick knacks everywhere makes things look crowded.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Wow jewjewbee! You sound very good at hiding/storing stuff! I thought I was going to give the OP some tips but instead got some tips for myself. Thanks! All I want to add is that not everything that was given to you as a gift is actually sentimental. When my sister was packing to move from the U.K. to Canada, she felt like she should keep every gift I bought her over the years because of sentimental value. I told her they were just things that I thought she would like at the time and weren't meant to be kept forever. I definately was NOT hurt by her getting rid of things that I had bought for her. Maybe stuff that people actually made for you would be different though. I love that between the mattress idea!!!
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 4:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2009