How much time can you legally take off before and after the pregnancy? Also what percentage of your income does disability pay in california?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you'd have to look into your states regulations on maternity leave, and then your companies policies on it. just ask for the policy handbook or call HR and ask them what the rules are for maternity leave. as for disability i have no clue
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I don't think it's a requirement to pay maternity leave. If they do pay I think you can take 2 weeks before your due date and 6 weeks after you have the baby. I think 6 weeks is minimum(sp??) Some places pay up to 16 weeks, that is including the weeks before the baby.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I think while pregnant, if the doctor writes a note saying you are unable to work, they have to honor that for however long (not sure if they can limit it?). After delivery, I believe it is 6 weeks for vaginal and 8-10 weeks for c-section. Check with your company and google state laws.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 12:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Disability in CA is 60% of your income. To go on disability before delivery, you need a doctor's note. Also check your employer's policies.

In CA, you can generally only get this disability for three months. You need long term disability insurance to be out longer.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2009