• In the Spotlight:

Moving and "down-sizing".

What is a good way to "down-size" your belongings? My SO and I are moving at the end of the month, and to help us get organized and hopefully have a better "look" at the new place we want to consolidate our stuff... If you get what I am saying. We also have A LOT of blankets, quilts, etc but most were made for us so we feel bad trying to get rid of any of them. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! (I asked this question in another posting because I am just hoping to get more than ONE answer ;o)

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 12:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• What I did was tell my husband if you haven't worn it in 6 months it goes. Most of what went was unworn for over a year though lol. And mine well they just didn't fit so poof. My kids what doesn't fit GONE. Toys that don't get played with for a long time GONE. No more cheapy Mc Donalds toys just the ones from the movies and what nots. Paper shredder. $30 at Kmart, shredded all the papers that were able to be shredded after a certain amount of years. Sold whatever we didn't need or use. And as far as someone making me something and me feeling bad about getting rid of it. I looked at it this way, If its something I truly enjoy using and I will be sad if its gone then it stays if I don't ever or hardly use it but just feel bad because someone gave it to me too bad its out. You have to detach yourself emotionally from things they are just materials you can always hold on to the thought and sentiment
    mommytobe626

Answer by mommytobe626 at 5:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i have a lot of those blankets too. I bought the spacebags, where you sucks the air out. for blankets get the XL ones. they works really well. for some reason though they are better quaulity from target then walmart though...just a heads up. but it keeps them safe but out of the way!

and for the reast of the stuff have a garage sale! what doesnt sell donate to a charity. some things are hard to part with, but if you havent used it in 6 months and it has no personal attachment to you then it goes. good luck!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I did this last month..Go thru your clothes, your boyfriends, and your kids'. Get rid of anything they don't wear anymore. Old pots and pans can go. Things you don't use or never used need to go. I sold alot of stuff on craigslist. Those plastic containers are great for organizing.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I love the spacebags! My husband and I also have a lot of those blankets and we got the spacebags put them in it and now they are being stored in a hope chest that is in our room. I agree with RhiannonHunt that a Garage sale or donating the other things to charity would be a great idea.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• If you really can not get rid of blankets..get the space saver bags. They work really good and save huge amount of space. Plus, if you have two of anything...donate it. If it really has no meaning to you..donate it. I would look at it quickly, if I feel nothing I donate it in a huge black trash bag, take it out when it is full and drive to the thrift store. That way I do not go back and get anything from the bag to bring back inside my home.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 12:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• https://www.spacebag.com/?mid=547753&a=55959&s=

try using this.. at least it saves space and they can be stored anywhere.. (at least for the blankets and such)

or get some storage furniture (bench seating with storage, storage coffee and end tables, etc)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:47 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• First, pack up the things that you truly do NEED.

Then go through everything else.

EVERYTHING.

If you have any hesitation when asked, "Do you need this?", get rid of it. You will not miss the clutter.

Keeping things around just because someone gave it to you or made it is a poor excuse if you don't use it.

This is your chance to get rid of shabby clothes and things you truly do not wear at least once a week. This is also your chance to get rid of chipped dishes, old sheets, 70% of the kids' toys, random odds and ends that you never use. Be a little severe in your purge, you won't regret it.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Ok I TOTALLY know what you mean! I did the same thing TWICE so here's what I did lol:
    The first time was when my first sons dad and I broke up. I had a settlement from a car accident so I bought everything. Well, I went from a house to a small apartment. One option is to maybe get a small storage space if you really don't want to get rid of things if you can afford it.

The second time was actually just last week when my second sons father *my fiance* and I moved out of my small apartment and into a house. It's 6 hours away from where I am from so I didn't want to take all my "clutter" as I call it, with me.
    Pack the necessities first. If you want to get rid of stuff but not the quilts, then go through clothes. If u dont wear it, pitch it. If the quilts r going to sit in the closet anyway, pitch them or maybe give them to a family memeber or to charity for ppl who need them. Papers, furnature, whatever you don't actually
    LiSsY0924

Answer by LiSsY0924 at 4:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• use, get rid of it. That's what I did. When I was packing, I realized how much stuff that I actually had that I didn't use. Some of it I didn't really want to get rid of, but I'm happy I did. I look at moving as a new start. I figure that I'd rather go without some things than take a bunch of stuff with me that I don't really use that just takes up room. Uhm... Maybe get some of those bags that you see on TV that like compress stuff down n u can hang them in closets? Idk if they work but they look convenient lol
    LiSsY0924

Answer by LiSsY0924 at 4:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2009