• In the Spotlight:

Advice on how to wean my 17 month old son off breastfeeding?

My son is 17 months old and I am getting to the point where I think I need to start weaning him off of nursing. A lot of the time, I think he uses it more as comfort than for the actual nourishment. Usually, he can't even take a nap without nursing first, which has made it hard for any other person to put him down for a nap or bed. I have tried to get him to eat more solids, but he always ends up coming to me and lifting up my shirt to nurse. It doesn't help that many people make remarks such as "Why are you still nursing him at 17 months old!!! You need to stop!" Ugh, I hate those comments. I'm mostly worried about stopping because he wont eat much solids (maybe one or 2 meals, if that) and I want to make sure he gets enough nourishment. Also, the fact that he has trouble sleeping without nursing also worries me. I really need advice and would appreciate anything from mothers that have gone through the same thing. Thank you

ccordes87

Asked by ccordes87 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't have much advice on how to wean (dd is 1 & still bf), but for those rude comments i have 2 suggestions. tell them flat out yes, he's still breastfeeding (now myo :)), and/or you can try to explain that it's recommended to breastfeed for @ least the first 2 yrs (go into benefits of continued breastfeeding). dd still nurses to sleep, but i don't mind. if you want someone else to put him to sleep, can you pump & give him milk in a cup beforehand? average age for weaning is 18-24 mos, so there's a chance he may wean on his own soon. try to teach him that it's not okay to pull at your shirt. does he ask to nurse (by signing/saying)? if not, maybe teach him to ask instead of pulling at you. obviously it's up to you, but if he isn't eating that much, breastmilk is still extremely beneficial to him. if you really want to wean, but are concerned about his diet, maybe you could pump? sorry if it's not much help. gl!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Drop one feeding per week till gone. That's really all there is to it. Distract and delay the nursing sessions.

But don't feel you have to wean. He's actualy still young...the World Health Organization says a minimum of TWO years.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Okay first WOO HOO you nursed this long. Second the WHO and AAP recommend a MINIMUM of 2 years so throw that out there for anyone who says to wean. Now as for the weaning thing. If you really want to do it then drop one session a week and start with the ones that aren't as important (not the ones before nap or bed time usually). Nursing to sleep is actually very common, but if you are not anywhere near by someone else should be able to get him to nap by rocking and giving some water or something. My daughter is rocked in a nursing position and goes right to sleep.

I agree with kyriesmommy. When someone says something about still nursing I just matter of factly answer yes and that usually ends it. With my first I felt I needed to explain things and that almost always ended in a disagreement. Being matter of fact about it ends things quick. If they are truly interested and open minded then we have a discussion.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:18 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• my lil one is 13months and eats less and less from me,i offer her snacks as well threw the day.she loves fruit.in the middle of the day ill put snacks in a bowl,like chips,cookies,anything realy and sit it down and she will munch on em through out the day also.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I don't have an answer either on how to wean. My 3 oldest just stopped I think because we were always so busy going and I would give them a bottle instead of nurse. But the last 1 he is 17 months and I still nurse at night to put him to bed. I work during the school year and I don't pump and he stays with family and they say its hard they have to wear him out for him to fall asleep, he is always putting his hand down thier shirt. They want me to quit so he can spend the night. I think I still do it because everyone says to stop, and because its easier to do rather than hear him cry himself to sleep. But is very inconvienant for when I am cooking, doing laundry or even going to the bathroom. And I'm not even sure if that is because I still nurse. But I do understand your situatio, I am stubborn and my advice would be keep doing it until your baby is done. And tell everyone else to get over it.
    dawn5773

Answer by dawn5773 at 2:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2009