Helping my husband

So, I just graduated from college, and now it is my husband's turn to go. Problem is, he has NO idea what he wants to study! I need some help in coming up with possibilities for him, if you ladies have any ideas. He is a smart guy, but isn't great at expressing himself through writing, and he hates math with a passion. He likes to work with his hands, he has a love affair with all things mechanical, he has an intimidating memory, and he likes working on designs. He also enjoys working with computers, and he is artistic in ideas but not in practice (he just doesn't have the coordination to draw well, or something...). Do any of you have any ideas as to directions I could point him in as for a major?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• Umm maybe like a trade? plumbing, carpentry, electrician? Web design, computer graphics kinds of things. Have schools send you the course guide and he can see what they have, it might help him get some ideas.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• maybe he should just start with his GE and then chose it sucks starting with a major and then changing cuz u dont like it afterall
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Has he taken an assesment through the college? They have tests that can suggest different areas that might be something he likes. Also let him know, that he honestly shouldn't get intimidated by things he "can't" do. Sometimes if you want to do something, you can overcome it with practice and determination. I hate math too, but I know realize that if I want to, I could become a math teacher. Would I ever be a mathematician? No, but I could work through and around my "issues" if I wanted too. I did that for Interior Design. I love the colors, dealing with people etc. My drawing left a lot to be desired. I found out in college, it wasn't all my ability. I had teachers who thought art couldn't be taught! It can. No, my drawings won't ever be hung in museum, but they are so much better than I ever thought. Let him take some time, try a few different classes, and get a feel of things first.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Since I'm making my kids go to college, when they don't know yet what they want to do, my suggestion for them is this...A major in Business Management. No matter where he goes that degree covers all aspects of any company and employers like people with leadership skills, and who know what it takes to run a business. If u know how to count money and use a calculator, the accounting aspect of that isn't bad as far as the math goes. It's all about figuring bills and things. It also covers computer skills, and u can also major in a specific type of business management, such as contracting, mechanical, or technical...Good Luck
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Why does he not study architectural design,draftsmen or electrician.

monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 3:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Mechanical engineering?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I would let him figure that out on his own or with a counselor/advisor. It's wonderful that you want to encourage/support/help, but that's his responsibility. That said, it does help to figure out some sort of direction. I did that for myself by taking various personality/career tests online. A surprisingly good start when exploring careers is O*NET. They help you match up your skills to jobs, etc.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2009