What age did u get your child a cellphone?

My 14 yr old wants one- all her friends have them - she is the only one with out one- I told her maybe for xmas- a prepaid one- she said it is a status symbol in her school- she said she wont use it much- that she just wants to show her friends and have it for emergencey- what kind do u reccomend and what age did u buy ur child a cell phone? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would say a prepaid one also. I've heard people say things like it's a rip-off, but I don't see how because you know you won't get stuck with a $400 phone bill or something. That is what we are getting our daughter whenever we get her one. She doesn't need one. She tells me the same thing like "everyone has one". It isn't necessary for our daughter to have one since I am there for her before and after school. And when she is at a friends' house, I have to meet and know the parents and their phone number. But anyway, to sum up my rambling, lol, I say go for the prepaid. :)
    workathome01

Answer by workathome01 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Once my son is older I plan on getting him one of those phones where he can only call certain numbers.. No texting whatsoever will be allowed. Too much trouble and temptation for a young child.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• At 15 my dtr saved her money and bought her own pre-paid phone. Ater the first month we made a deal with her that whatever she paid we would pay the same amount. No texting just a phone, it worked very well, taught her how to keeep track of her minutes and money. The only problem was there was a lot of dead areas. After about 4 months and proving to us she was capiable of handling a cell phone we got her one and added her to our plan. It wasn't until she was 16 that we added texting (limit to 500) that was rough the first 6 months she went over a few times no more then 20, but she had to pay for the over time. For Christmas that year we bumped her texting to 1500 and when she reaches 1400 she tells her friends not to text her untill after our renew date and she doesn't read or respond to any texts after 1475 she turns her phone off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I got my son one when he was 11, we have no landline and he needs a way to call me or 911 if something happens when he is alone. He is now 13 and does very well with his phone. We have a family plan and share 1500 minutes, unlimited texting and unlimited picture mail. He knows that I check his phone and texts, he doesn't add any phone numbers unless I approbe and he knows I will take it away at anytime.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I don't get them for my kids til they have a job and can pay the bill. Make sure you can control the minutes and either get unlimited texting or none. The oldest of ours is a girl, 26 now, when she got her cell phone the first bill was just shy of $700. If you try to turn one off and its part of a plan they charge you to turn it off. We took the phone away until she was able to pay us back for the bill. She wanted it back so badly she managed to pay it off in 9 weeks, which was pretty good. After that she was way more careful.
    7babies4me

Answer by 7babies4me at 11:16 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My son was 12 when he got his. Today just about all teens have a cell phone. I added him to my plan and we share minutes. He does have unlimited texting though.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• YES THEY HAVE AND MY SON WAS 11 WHEN HE GOT HIS 1ST CELL.
    RUSTI44

Answer by RUSTI44 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I heard the same thing from my 13 yr old!! I am going to waite until she is 16 and has a drivers license, although I am concidering 15 if she has a part time or summer job
    AJRum

Answer by AJRum at 2:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My dd bought her own with her earnings at 14. She continues to pay the bill on a prepaid set-up. I was sure thankful that my son's friend had one when he hurt himself the other day and needed to go to the ER by ambulance....gonna get that child one of his own for just in case with prepaid set-up to avoid excessive bills.
    Anonymous

• around 10--t-mobile has a family plan where I got him one for 10 bucks a month and for 5 dollars a month i am able to set parental controls allowing him to use particular amount of minutes.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 8:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2009