post-partum lactation...

i'm pretty sure im not pregnant, and havent been pregnant for the last 18MONTHS!!! why am i suddenly able to lactate?

LulusMom0208

Asked by LulusMom0208 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Health

• My son is 21 months old and I still lactate. I never stopped. Did you breastfeed? My doctor told me that if it comes back there could be something wrong and to go see him. I never did though cause I like having the option to still breastfeed.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• i never breastfed because i was too swollen for her to latch on, even with the plastic nipple thing. after she was a couple months old i thought it would be funny to try to relactate (just out of curiosity ...weird, i know) and nothing ever happened.
    LulusMom0208

Answer by LulusMom0208 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• once you become pregnant you can lactate any time. There was a mom who breastfed all her children, then she decided to adopt. She was not breastfeeding at the time, decided to pump and her milk came in time for her to nurse her adopted baby once she got her. So, you can lactate even if your not nursing. Also, when my sister just had her baby, and I was pregnant, I would start to leak when the baby cried, and my mom would feel let downs when the baby cried as well. certain emotions/hormones and stimulation can cause this stuff to happen.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 6, 2009