My 1 yr old bites me gently instead of kissing- is this ok?

I had a kitten who used to nip me to show affection- should I be worried- is this ok- he doesnt kiss yet. I have 3 older kids and they never did this, so it is new for me. He had 6 teeth now. He does it when I pick him up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter just turned 1 and she sometimes bites. she has actually done it for a few months, usually when she is teething. she got the bottom two around 7 mos, and the top four during her 10th mo. that month, she bit so often that i started calling her a vampire baby. now, if i say vampire baby, she gets a big smile and gently bites (mouths) me. it's probably not the best thing for her to be doing, but she doesn't bite anyone else and she's not in daycare. idk...
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• My daughter is 17mths and she use to do that when she was that age....a light bite. Now she only has 4 teeth with 4 coming in ( a slow teether I know) and she kisses but she bites harder now, it'll even leave a mark...I contribute most of it to teething but I swear she does it to see my reaction. What I do is tell her 'we don't eat people' ( horrible? maybe. amusing? definitely. but I have started saying 'we don't bite' instead) and give her something she can teeth on instead of my body.
    LovinMyLayla

Answer by LovinMyLayla at 4:14 AM on Jul. 6, 2009