Does the hereafter exist?

I am asking this question for my boss because she is kind of embarrassed to ask it herself. Her son has a corner of his room that he is always staring into, talking to and interacting with. He has been doing this ever since he was a baby. He has made comments about grandma coming to see him. His grandmother passed away of cancer before he was born, and he can describe her. The only photos of her that they have are put up in albums for safe keeping. What can I tell her to ease her mind? This is really kind of freaking her out.

kmeyer0829

Asked by kmeyer0829 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Children are said to be able to see ghosts and spirits. My moms best friend had three boys, 1 and then twins and one of the twins use to talk to his great-grandma who had died years prior to the twins birth. And they had never seen pictures either.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I was driving home one day with my ds when he was about 4yo. He told me Grandpa Charlie had visited him at daycare that day. (My grandpa died while I was pregnant with Adam; he always wanted a grandson, but instead had 2 granddaughters and 2 great-granddaughters). Anyway, my ds said that Grandpa Charlie just wanted him to tell me that I was doing a great job as a mother and that everything was going to be alright. It was very strange, but also soothing to know he is still looking out for all of us.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 12:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• What anyone says - including me - doesn't really matter. We all believe different things are possible --- or even "fact", in some cases. The "fact" is, though --- nobody knows 'til they get there.

I'd say if he's talking to the corner & believes it's grandma --- let him. It's not hurting anyone, it's a comfort to him, and who knows? Maybe it's a gift.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I 'm not sure there is much we can say to ease her mind, she either believes or doesn't believe. I wonder why either way it would bother her so much. If it is or isn't true he doesn't seemed to be focused on anything negative so there is no harm. I think it would be different he was scared or upset by it but since he isn't . . .

But for the record I do believe that after we leave our bodies and that our spirits lives on. And I do think that some spirits return to earth to help or check on those they have loved.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 1:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2009